Donating breastmilk (UK)

Kanichen34

Reaction score
I've contacted my nearest hospital with a milk bank - expecting them to say I was too far away (an hour) but they have said they'll accept my breast milk :)

I have to contact them Tuesday to arrange going in for a blood test, answer some lifestyle questions and collect some sterile bottles.

Has anyone done this before? What can I expect? I only have a tommy tippie manual pump, will that be enough? How much should I aim to provide? I haven't pumped for a while as my supply has regulated but building it up to accommodate donating won't be an issue. I've pumped 4oz per breast per session previously.

Any tips appreciated!

As a scbu baby mum whose child received DBM until my milk came in, thank you thank you!

Any amount you can donate will be gratefully fully received. My son was fed 1ml an hour for the first few days, so 4pz would feed him for 4 days.

At our hospitals milk
Bank they send a courier to you whenever you request it, to collect the milk. You will pump and then freeze it straight away and store it Until you're ready to send it in. I believe they screen it before using it.

I really wanted to donate also however our closest milk bank is 2.5hrs away so unfortunately they won't accept. I just wanted to say good on you for donating! I hope it goes well :flower:

That's cool I looked into it but I was too far away.
Don't forget human milk for human babies on Facebook for those who would donate but aren't near a milk bank xx

I donated this time last year for about 3/4 months. Then my supply dropped as i got ill and I struggled to fill the bottles so stopped. You just pump as you normally would and fill the bottles with as much as you can before freezing it. You have to right the amount and date on the bottle but they give you a pen for this. They come and collect whenever you want but there is a minimum number of bottles they will come and collect.
You cant donate if you have mastitis even though it is safe for your own baby to drink. They dont mind you having the occasional drink but ask that you dont donate any milk pumped when you feel tipsy. Same rule for feeding your own lo really there.
Thats all i can remember :flower:

Just wanted to say Well Done Mama!
I'd love to donate too but there are only 2 hospitals in the whole of Spain that can accept donated milk so not an option. I was hoping to be able to do it for my local hospital.
x

I'd love to donate too but there are only 2 hospitals in the whole of Spain that can accept donated milk so not an option. I was hoping to be able to do it for my local hospital.
x

You could also look on hm4hb xx

x

Thanks. I had a quick look last night after it had been mentioned on this post and it all looked to be in the U.S - I'll look again :thumbup:

x

Thanks. I had a quick look last night after it had been mentioned on this post and it all looked to be in the U.S - I'll look again :thumbup:

I believe they have different pages for each country, I'm part of the uk one xx

Hey :) I usually just lurk but I also donate. My little one ended up in hdu at 5 months and seeing those poorly babies made me want to help.

I was sent the blood test kit which I took to my docs. The lady from the milk bank also sent the bottles, pen, thermometer and paperwork. So everything is provided. U have to take the temp of ur freezer everyday. Each bottle u express must be in the freezer within 24hrs. They collect roughly every 6 weeks and they want to collect a min of 2 litres. If ur manual pump works for u then you'll be fine. Think I worked out it would be around 15 x 5oz bottles so not a lot over 6 weeks.

Just worth a mention I had a huge freezer stash (about 4 litres) before I started donating. My dd won't take a bottle so wasn't going to be used. As my blood tests were clear they happily took this too!

Good luck. What ur doing is awesome. X

Just to add I had to call about 5 different places before getting to the right people to enquire about donating.

If anyone is interesting I donate through Cheshire and north Wales human milk bank. Contact is Lynda.coulter. I don't have enough posts to add email add or website details but if anyone wants any info let me know!

I'm over in hull so they do travel! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->