donating eggs to family members

Dory85

Reaction score
I hope you girls can help me. My older brother and his wife have been struggling to conceive for 9 years now and have tried IVF as many times. My brother is azoospermic and it was recently found that his wife has sub standard eggs? For this reason they are looking into going abroad and using both donor sperm and donor eggs. Now that they are using donor sperm I would like to offer them some of my own eggs. They may say no but I wanted to give them the opportunity to pass on family genes which may help them psychologically.
Does anyone know about the actual process of donating eggs for family in the UK? I'm not really interested in the ethical/moral debate on this as I think it might become heated. Thanks guys :)

I'm not sure but technically you would be creating a child with your brother. This would mean any genetic issues could cause problems ie it increases the childs chances of getting 2 faulty genes.

I think you could ask them but they would have to check with thee clinic on the risks and legalitys

I'm not sure but technically you would be creating a child with your brother. This would mean any genetic issues could cause problems ie it increases the childs chances of getting 2 faulty genes.

the OP said they'd be using donor eggs and donor sperm so there is no reason why you couldn't donate your eggs from that perspective. xxx

Sorry I missed the bit about donor sperm. I wouldn't see any issues then. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was quite common. For a sister to donate eggs to her sister and brothers sperm to brother. The only thing I could see an issue with was the genetics of a brother and sister creating a child.

I think thats a lovely thing to do hun x At least their baby wud have some family genes :) x

I raised the subject with them today and they said they would discuss it so i'll keep you posted if anything comes of it.

:D fantastic news! I look forward to hearing what happens :)

I did this for my sister in law..(my husbands sister) Her and I started trying to have babies together(we're very close)...I had my daughter and she was dealing with her 6th miscarraige. I am from Canada but I can assume everything is sorta the same?

I'm going to be ridiculously, brutally honest....... it's going to consume about a month of you life...dr's appt's, constant prodding in your vagina, poking, blood drawn....2 or 3 needles in your stomach every day for a few weeks...walking around like you have bowling balls in your uterus and basically being an emotional lunatic for awhile...hahaha...you will hit a moment where you break down hysterically and think...I cannot possibly poke myself with one more needle..but you'll get through it....you'll constantly wonder if you did the right thing and if your going to be attached to this baby in some weird way.......extraction hurts(opt to get knocked out...I was an idiot and didn't)....so basically...they don't get go in and remove an egg....your a human guinea pig and it hurts like a mofo.......

NOW....ALL THAT BEING SAID....it will change your life.It will make you appreciate the gift of your own child and it will open your eyes to what woman are willing to go through just to have one child. What i decribed above, I did for one month. Some women have gone through this 4,5,6 TIMES...You realize they are a whole super human species to be able to go through that pain and not complain.....you will have a whole new level of respect for your sister in law who has endured so much....and being able to give someone the gift of life will change you. People who focus on the DNA of it all...and the "but isnt that your daughter"...have no clue and no right to an oppinion because they aren't going through it.....watching my sister in law give birth to her daughter was the most emotional moment in my life (other than me having my own of course!)....see her husband sobbing hysterically as they all hugged eachother in disbelief that what they have tried so long for that was finally in front of them is an image you will never forget. DNA..whatever...my neice on my side isn't from my egg but she has been like a second daughter from day one...I know you said no debates but...I've been through it..i feel it gives me a right! LMAO.....bottom line...you sign a bunch of papers saying that baby isnt yours and you know that...you take a bunch of needles....and then you change someones life.....in the most amazing way.... If you have any other questions PLEASE feel free to ask...... I basically researched every stat about everything about being a donor and what your risks are, and being the child of a donor blah blah blah...I'd be happy to pass on my knowledge!!!

In summary....there are so many "what if's"...so many questions people have...so many unknowns..but at the end of the day you will feel a selfless joy that is no one can put into words....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->