Donating for a premmie while nursing a toddler?

Celesse

Reaction score
My little sister is 26 weeks pregnant and they think her waters have gone. Right now its all a bit uncertain as to what will happen, but they have told her breast milk will really help the baby if he arrives now. She's asked me if I'd express for her, but I don't think she's asked the hospital if they'd accept donated milk yet. In fact if baby arrives now he will be moved elsewhere.

There's no question in my mind I'll donate, my pump parts is on standby ready if needed. But I'm not sure how much milk I'll have there as DS is quite old.

So... will they accept donated milk?
Will milk from me nursing a 21month old be suitable?
Is there anything I can do to up my supply that won't interfere with TTC and will still make the milk ok for a premmie? ... in fairness TTC isn't really my priority if my baby nephew needs milk.
Any practical advice in terms of storage and transportation?
Any advice I can give my sister so she can express for her baby?

That's very generous of you. They might not accept it though due to testing, etc. but I could be wrong!

Is she not planning on expressing once her baby is born? Her colostrum would be wonderful for her baby! :)

EDIT: Just noticed you asked about expressing advice for your sister. Once her baby is born, she should begin pumping or hand expressing as soon as possible. She probably won't get much (if any) at first, but it WILL come in! Premature babies require VERY little milk in the beginning, so even just a tiny bit will be enough (and her baby will probably be on fluids at first and no milk, which will give her a little while to collect a small amount of milk).

The hospital should provide her with sterilized containers, etc. to store her milk in. I would normally pump at home and store it in the refrigerator right after (unless I wasn't bringing it that day, then I would store it in the freezer). I brought the containers in a small hand-bag cooler with ice packets to keep it cold/frozen.

I wondered about testing too. My last HIV test was when I was pregnant with DS. Although I'm low risk its over 2yrs ago and I've had a blood transfusion since.

She's planning on expressing, but she was worried about her milk coming in. I think she's after a bit of a stop gap until her milk comes in or covering her bases if it doesn't.

Looks like the hospital they are transferring her to will be a fair journey from their home, even further from ours.

I wondered about testing too. My last HIV test was when I was pregnant with DS. Although I'm low risk its over 2yrs ago and I've had a blood transfusion since.

She's planning on expressing, but she was worried about her milk coming in. I think she's after a bit of a stop gap until her milk comes in or covering her bases if it doesn't.

Looks like the hospital they are transferring her to will be a fair journey from their home, even further from ours.

They can be picky with that. I wanted to donate my own blood for a transfusion to my son but they wouldn't allow me to (even though I already had blood tests and was clear!).

Her milk should come in after she gives birth. I gave birth to my oldest at 28.6 weeks and my milk came in once I started expressing. I don't know about the hospital she'll be transferred to, but some places do have donated milk on hand just in case.

I hope everything goes smoothly for your sister. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->