Doulahs/Doolas

N

Neecee

Does anyone know what they are or what role they are meant to play in the birth? I know they don't have to be qualified midwives, but I just wondered if anyone's had one present in the past or intends to.

I'm going to have a doula. Here is the info off of her website.

A doula is a woman who is trained to provide physical, emotional, and informational support to mothers-to-be and their partners before, during labour and birth, and postpartum.

Doulas work alongside physicians, midwives, nurses, and birth partners, and are endorsed by the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. Experienced, certified doulas are considered part of the obstetric team, as they help couples minimize obstetrical intervention through informational and emotional support, and maximize their satisfaction with their birth experiences.

Doulas do not provide clinical tasks. Non-medical skills include explanations of medical procedures, 24 hour informational support during pregnancy and postpartum, positioning suggestions during labour and birth, massage and other non-pharmacological pain relief measures, reassurance, help with breastfeeding preparation and beginnings, and most importantly, a constant nurturing, helpful and objective support as well as first-hand knowledge and understanding of what the labouring mother is going through. This benefits both the mother and father-to-be.

Both midwives and doulas attend home births. However, most of the doula's work is done for couples having a hospital birth. She comes to the home in early labour, and then follows the couple to their birthing place.

https://www.gentletouchdoula.com/whatisdoula.htm

Hope this helps

Thanks so much! That sounds like a REALLY good option. I'm guessing that service isn't free though...

It's going to cost me $750/CAN for 3 pre appointments, 24 hour care while in labour, at least 1 appointment after and I can call her anytime with questions. It sounded very reasonable to me specially with all the nursing shortages etc we are experiencing here.

Ohhhh, you're overseas....

I'm not sure how the doula thing works here in the UK then. It's not something that's really brought up a lot here. Ok, I'm off to Google it...

LOL... I never thought of myself as overseas... overseas is where YOU are :rofl:

This forum really shakes up my universe :D

I'm sure a doula is a doula, just the cost would change.

I'm also in Alberta and am considering using a doula. I am exploring the option of using a doula who is still building up her practice, so her cost is more in the $250-300 range.
The stats on doula use are pretty convincing. Women who use them have a much much higher rate of satisfaction in their birth experience. Even if things like an emergency c-section occur, women with doulas have said that they felt that their needs were heard and that they had a skilled advocate helping them through every step.
In Alberta, there is such a shortage of nurses that I certainly don't count on having a constant nursing presence during my labour.
I think I would probably benefit form coaching, breathing exercises, etc during labour. that's the appeal to me.

I'm not sure how the doula thing works here in the UK then. It's not something that's really brought up a lot here. Ok, I'm off to Google it...

They are becoming more and more popular in the UK. Prices vary from how experienced the doula is. A newly qualified doula will often offer her services for free to get some experience, whereas a very qualified one can cost quite a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->