Dream feeding (when I'm going to bed) vs. on demand (at around 3am)

qwerty310

Reaction score
I've always fed my four month old on demand and haven't tried dream feeding. He was sleeping through the night from 7-7 since 6 weeks ago but the last week has woken up crying every night around three and feeding is the only thing that calms him. I think it is hunger because he'll stay awake for two breasts which is more than usual.

Should I attempt to dream feed when I go to bed around ten? Or continue to wait and wake up when he wants it. 7-7 is too long for his needs right now I guess. Maybe he'll take more during the day eventually and this is just a growth spurt?

Hm, my son usually stirs to feed (but doesn't fully wake) when I come to bed anyway, so I guess I "dream feed" him, but then he usually does it again at 3 am! He never wakes up and cries though, just stirs and starts looking around for nipple.

At 7 months my baby feeds at my bed time usually @10:30 then again @2am and then 5am. Wakes at 7 for the day. All these feeds are in a sleepy state. He does not wake up or cry, just nuzzles close to me and roots. His bedtime had been changing from 10 pm at 4 months to about 7-7:30 now. So he has about 3 feeds during that time.

Thank you all for your replies! I'll try feeding him when I go to bed. He has been a good sleeper at night and doesn't really nap during the day so I don't want to disturb his rest. He needs to eat though! Patterns change so fast...

He doesn't nap at all? At 4 months? that is quite odd! Is this a new occurance? Like the 4 month sleep regression? My 18 month old still takes 2 naps...

That's not quite right of he doesn't nap all day.....

My 16 month old still needs 2 hours a day.

He doesn't nap at all? At 4 months? that is quite odd! Is this a new occurance? Like the 4 month sleep regression? My 18 month old still takes 2 naps...

My four month old has barely napped since around 12 weeks and doesn't go to bed until 10 usually. She doesn't act overtired either. I don't understand it.

Have a shot at the dream feed and see if he'll go through. With both of mine, it didn't work, they still woke at 3ish for a feed! Don't worry about the napping either, my son was like that. He grew into his naps and napped more by a year but still slept well at night xx

Mine has been really off with his naps this last week, too. My eldest was never a good napper, either. As long as they're happy enough and you're giving them the opportunity to nap, then what more can you do?

I have done both dreamfeed and wait until first wake up, depending on how I feel, what sort of day I've had, how wriggly DS is, etc. It doesn't seem to make masses of difference tbh, so I'd just do whatever you feel most comfortable with x

Thanks for your help and answering my specific question. I've tried waking him gently around ten for the past three nights and he then sleeps until six or 6:30 am like he used to. I think his little growth spurt just had him hungry. It's nice because he doesn't even really wake up but feeds well so I am very pleased with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->