Dropping percentiles/IUGR

wanderess

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm just looking for some insight/support during what has been a pretty difficult pregnancy for me. I got pregnant after IVF with ICSI for severe MFI issues, and while we were so fortunate to have it work the first time, it's been fraught with problems. I was really sick at the beginning, then baby was diagnosed with a heart defect, which thankfully either healed or was misdiagnosed, but shortly after we finally got cleared from that, I had a preterm labor scare and was on modified bed rest, and NOW baby is having trouble growing. At my 30 week appointment my fundal height was low so got sent for an ultrasound, where we found baby's stomach to be small and weight to be low. Looking back over past ultrasounds, my doctor noted that from 18 to 30 weeks, baby had been consistently dropping growth percentiles. She went from above 50th to in the 40s, then 30s, and at 30 weeks, in the 20s. I've been put on biweekly NSTs and weekly AFIs, and I had another growth scan yesterday at 34 weeks, where baby is now in the 15th percentile. She does great on NSTs, fluid levels have been good, and dopplers are good, so we can't find any reason for why she's dropped so much. In the last 4 weeks alone, she dropped 12 percentile points.

I know it's great that she seems to still be doing well and not be in distress, but I can't help feeling so scared. My doctor said there is no chance she will let me go past 39 weeks, but we'll be evaluating growth again at 37 weeks and inducing then if she's dropped further. I'm obviously keeping up the monitoring appointments, but that part has gotten so scary to me. I'm just so nervous that in the next 3 weeks, she'll suddenly have trouble and we'll have to induce right away. Just sort of makes me feel like a ticking time bomb, and they keep stressing that I do kick counts and pay attention to her movement, so I feel paranoid and worried that she's going to start going into distress and I won't know it or catch it in time. Realistically I know that growth restricted babies generally do very well, but it's so hard to relax when you know something isn't quite right! My dr is trying to get me into the perinatologist ASAP for further evaluation, but my insurance tends to make things difficult and slow.

Sorry this is so long! Anyone else been through this and have some coping tips?

:hugs: I just want to give you a huge hug hun. Im sorry youve had such a rough time of it with your pregnancy.

It sounds like you are doing great and hanging in there. it is really scary hun but i promise its all worth it. I think its only natural for you to be worrying i think most IUGR mummies do. My little was undiagnosed IUGR so we didnt have the worry at all apart from counting kicks because we had multiple episodes of reduced movements. All i can say is dont panic straight away if you dont feel movement.. get yourself checked right away but dont panic. I have had RM with each of my babies.. ds1 i was in weekly for the last few weeks because the little monkey would stop moving but then would be asbolutely fine on monitors. My last bub i had a few episodes in the two weeks running upto when he was born and again he was fine in there i just couldnt feel anything.

when you go for your appointments have your bags all packed ready and get yourself into the headspace of "ok if things have gone worse i will be having this baby in the next couple of days" and then your semi prepared mentally but its going to be a bonus if baby is staying in. <3 :hugs: Do you have support around you hun? xx

Hi wandress.
So sorry you've had such a hard journey. My Dd was iugr. Born at 37 weeks weighing 1.9 kgs which is 4lb 3 ozs. This wasn't detected until I was 36 weeks & was most definitely missed. I had very low fluid. I don't know what percentile she was on at 20 week scan but when born she had fallen off the chart.
I was induced & she did amazing. No huge problems when born. We had a forceps delivery because she was tired after a long labour. But other than having to stay on a hot cot for 5 nights & obvs weight monitoring she was fine.
The reasons for this are still unknown & I've since had a 7lb boy. Who dropped a lot of weight when born...& they are both on the tiny side now.
Like last pregnsncy I'm being closely monitored.
Your right it's scary & if it happened to us again I'd be worried but your right iugr babe's normally do very well. You've had such a hard journey but it will all be worth it. It sounds like you are being watched carefully & are in good hands.
Have they given you a weight estimation at all?
Your 34 weeks...? Hopefully if baby can stay in till 37 baby will probably do very well before then I think the lungs aren't fully matured.
It's hard not to stress my week in limbo was tough but keep that chin up & rest as much as you can. I'll be stalking. All the best huni xx

Thank you ladies for your support! It seriously helps just to get it out there and hear what other people have experienced! I'm finding that this can be really lonely, even though I do have a lot of lovely support around me! Until people know what you're going through, it's hard to relate or know what to say.

Monitoring is going well for baby...she is such a feisty little thing and I love her more each day! I'm unfortunately having lots of contractions, though, accompanied by cervical change. My last two NSTs have sent me to the hospital for a shot to stop my contractions. My dr. said today is probably the last time she'll make me do that as I'll be 35 weeks tomorrow, so it's getting pretty safe for labor if that's what's going to happen. It's a little scary because I don't think my girl is quite ready yet and needs a little more time, but hopefully we'll make it to the next growth scan at 37 weeks and see if it's time for her to come on out then. I'm still waiting for the perinatologist and really hoping I can get in soon, as I haven't gained any weight the last few weeks, and I'm worried that her growth is really stalling out now. The monitoring is reassuring, though, since she does so well and really seems to be doing beautifully despite the lagging growth!

:hugs: first i just want to say with your weight hun it could be that you yourself are loosing a little weight. With my last i only gained 6lb (he was 6lb 8oz) so it was just a case of i was loosing and his weight kept me stable :)

then i just want to give you huge hugs. i have everything crossed that she stays put till 37weeks but if she does come at 35 weeks she will be in good hands shoud she need any help <3 Seth wasnt born till 40+5 but was only 5lb 14oz and he didnt need any help with breathing etc. Just feeding as he had bad jaundice (caused by his size and bruising to the head incurred during delivery) so wouldnt wake for his feeds. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->