Drug addiction in pregnancy

Blah11

☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼
Reaction score
How sad and selfish.

I'm watching a program and the mother continued to take heroin throughout her pregnancy. Her baby was born at 27weeks, suffering from serious withdrawl :( So sad to see a tiny little human having such a horrible start to life when it could be prevented.
Some people just DO NOT deserve to conceive.

I am so ignorant about drugs but it is scary I agree x

I am so ignorant about drugs but it is scary I agree x

Basically when people come off of drugs they go through withdrawl.

(Quotd from wiki)
Symptoms may include: sweating, malaise, anxiety, depression, priapism, extra sensitivity of the genitals in females, general feeling of heaviness, cramp-like pains in the limbs, yawning, tears, sleep difficulties (insomnia), cold sweats, chills, severe muscle and bone aches; nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, cramps, and fever.Many users also complain of a painful condition, the so-called "itchy blood", which often results in compulsive scratching that causes bruises and sometimes ruptures the skin, leaving scabs. Abrupt termination of heroin use often causes muscle spasms in the legs (restless leg syndrome); hence "kicking" has been used as a slang term for heroin withdrawal. Discontinuation of heroin can also cause goose bumps, and this symptom is the basis for the expression "going cold turkey". The intensity of the withdrawal syndrome is variable depending on the dosage of the drug used and the frequency of use. Very severe withdrawal can be precipitated by administering an opioid antagonist to a heroin addict.

It DISGUSTS me that someone would knowingly put their baby through that :(

I agree, if these women have no intentions of giving up when they find out the are pg, they should seriously consider having an abortion, to save the baby that pain.
Plus, if they wont quit when they are pg, the odds are that they wont give up after they have had the baby and will end up having the baby took off them.
VERY selfish women!!

Hi Blah,

It's so distressing to watch programmes like this, and I agree, such a shame the little one has to suffer when he/she didn't ask to be born.

The only thing I would say, which is no means a defence to a mother, but heroin is a particularly nasty, nasty drug which changes the user in ways they woud not even realise. Working with drug users I am both sympathatic and frustrated with them! I do know that most users didn't enter down the heroin path lightly and most have HUGE issues and past 'demons' that they feel can only be appeased through heroin.

I think it goes to show how powerful the drug, and the NEED for the drug is, if a woman can not give it up even for the good of her unborn - which in most of us is an absolute instinct.

Sadly I've been part of processes that has to take babies away from their mothers for just this reason, it's heartbreaking to see them 'allow' authorites to take away the one thing that really could save them.

xx

i think this may be the same programme that I started a thread about a couple of days ago!!! Labour and delivery?? https://www.babyandbump.com/general-chatter/42812-cannot-believe-im-watching.html

The one I saw anyway...the mother had no desire at all to look after her child or the 5 previous ones she had given up to!!

Yeah heroin is a powerful drug but its proven that nicotine is infact a more addictive drug!!

Edit: By this I mean I dont think smokers get the same amount of credit when given up by society!! Not just in pregnancy but in general!

Hi Blah,

It's so distressing to watch programmes like this, and I agree, such a shame the little one has to suffer when he/she didn't ask to be born.

The only thing I would say, which is no means a defence to a mother, but heroin is a particularly nasty, nasty drug which changes the user in ways they woud not even realise. Working with drug users I am both sympathatic and frustrated with them! I do know that most users didn't enter down the heroin path lightly and most have HUGE issues and past 'demons' that they feel can only be appeased through heroin.

I think it goes to show how powerful the drug, and the NEED for the drug is, if a woman can not give it up even for the good of her unborn - which in most of us is an absolute instinct.

Sadly I've been part of processes that has to take babies away from their mothers for just this reason, it's heartbreaking to see them 'allow' authorites to take away the one thing that really could save them.

xx

i see where you are coming from, they get offers of help from the methadone program, but this rarley works.
i have a close family member with a history of heroin abuse, he was offered numerous amount of help, but nothing worked, until he was sent to jail, there he cleaned up and got his prioritys in order, he had 2 gorgous kids to go home to and a girlfriend, who stuck by him through everything (she is one of the strongest women ive ever met, id have given up on him, but she dident).
he is now a very respectable family man with a great family.

I was being quite narrow minded with my last post, your post has made me look from some other angles.

i see where you are coming from, they get offers of help from the methadone program, but this rarley works.
i have a close family member with a history of heroin abuse, he was offered numerous amount of help, but nothing worked, until he was sent to jail, there he cleaned up and got his prioritys in order, he had 2 gorgous kids to go home to and a girlfriend, who stuck by him through everything (she is one of the strongest women ive ever met, id have given up on him, but she dident).

I was being quite narrow minded with my last post, your post has made me look from some other angles.

Thats a really positive story :):) def agree that his gf is strong!!
Addiction are nasty things... whether it be alcohol or heroin!! They really mess with peoples lives :cry:

i think this may be the same programme that I started a thread about a couple of days ago!!! Labour and delivery?? https://www.babyandbump.com/general-chatter/42812-cannot-believe-im-watching.html

The one I saw anyway...the mother had no desire at all to look after her child or the 5 previous ones she had given up to!!

Yeah heroin is a powerful drug but its proven that nicotine is infact a more addictive drug!!

Edit: By this I mean I dont think smokers get the same amount of credit when given up by society!! Not just in pregnancy but in general!

Oops, I didn't realise there was another thread but yes, it was repeated on discovery health today :(

Hi Blah,

xx

Oh that's a lovely story :) I'm glad he got the help he needed and was lucky enough to have such a supportive family. I do think authorities need to be more strict with drug addicts anyway. They should be forced into rehab where there is no drugs AT ALL.

The authorities wont though because "it costs too much" but it would make crime rates and other related things drop drasticly.
My realative turned to crime, to pay for his habit, but that is probably what saved him in the long run (by being sent to jail and having no choice but to go cold turkey).

Ah, but Blah11 - being forced into rehab is our choice for the addict, not the addict's choice. Without the addict's will and personal determination to change behind the addiction treatment, chances are very good they will relapse. It could give them a badly-needed moment of sobriety (as jail did for the fellow we just read about), and in that time they might choose to get clean, but if not, they will be back on the junk as soon as they are able.
I don't think there are any easy answers. It's really tough.
I know it makes me sound like a complete fascist, but when I hear about someone bringing not one, but five little heroin-addicted babies into the world, I start to question my strong beliefs in a women's right to control her body. That's when I start to think that certain individuals deserve mandatory birth control. But I would never support that really happening. It's just my anger at the situation.
As a society, we have to take the long slow route and try to help the addict quit, while at the same time minimizing the damage they inflict on those around them. It's very frustrating, but the slow route seems to be the only one that produces long-term results.

There is a girl that my OH went to school with who turned out to be a heroin addict. She got pregnant a few years ago and still took heroine. When her baby was born, her baby was taken away from her by welfare services. Unfortunately, the baby died a few months later due to SIDs while in the care of the new foster family.

So, sometimes it does happen that the proper people take babies away from mothers like this.

selfish individuals. Think it is right that baby is cared for by someone else, at least until mother is fit to look after the baby.

The authorities wont though because "it costs too much" but it would make crime rates and other related things drop drasticly.
My realative turned to crime, to pay for his habit, but that is probably what saved him in the long run (by being sent to jail and having no choice but to go cold turkey).

It does my heart good to hear of your relative's change of direction after heroin use and prison! I think you're right on what you say about prison being his 'turning point'. All addicts need to hit that 'rock bottom' before they WANT to make changes!!! FIngers crossed your relative goes from strength to strength.

xxxxx

I know it makes me sound like a complete fascist, but when I hear about someone bringing not one, but five little heroin-addicted babies into the world, I start to question my strong beliefs in a women's right to control her body. That's when I start to think that certain individuals deserve mandatory birth control. But I would never support that really happening. It's just my anger at the situation.
As a society, we have to take the long slow route and try to help the addict quit, while at the same time minimizing the damage they inflict on those around them. It's very frustrating, but the slow route seems to be the only one that produces long-term results.

Totally agree with your points.... in fact I'm a little ashamed to say I have started to feel someone, somewhere needs to control how many kids some people have (and if they should have any kids at all ...eeek)! Because the long term effects on society and the cost implications....

This is a very emotive topic and heartbreaking for the user, their families and people who have to deal with them along the way. I too come across drug users in my line of work and always (without exception) pity the person and see them as someone's child (no matter what age they are).

Not so long ago I dealt with a 21 year old girl who had caused multiple slash wounds to both of her arms and legs and when I first saw her she was lying on her bed in what looked like 4 pints of blood (sorry for the graphic details). She was barely conscious but whilst I was with her, she told me that her mother had been a heroin user and she blamed her mother for her own mental state today as she believed her mothers use of drugs during her pregnancy had damaged her before she was born and now she too was an addict and psychiatrically very unstable. She has a boyfriend and they do not use any contraception, so the cycle is likely to continue (if she lives that long). It would be a tragedy I think if she became pregnant for so many reasons that I am sure you can think of yourselves.

I was particularly struck by this girl's beauty and intelligence and to this day feel a sense of sadness that perhaps her case is a hopeless one. She continues to self harm and somehow all the help that is offered to her seems to fall on deaf ears. Life is so complicated and I felt a bit frustrated to tell you the truth that her life is wasted. I told her how beautiful she was and that I found her to be very bright, but she just couldn't see it. I think the fact that we are now TTC makes dealing with these people even more difficult as I find myself thinking that I would have made a great mother for this girl or why can't I get pregnant and people on drugs can. All natural emotions of course.

Everyone has a right to life, but I strongly agree that people who are on drugs risk their baby's health and indeed their own.

I know how hard addictions are the break, and sometimes when you are that deep into addiction things are not that black and white.

For me it's heart breaking to see these stories, it makes me want to cry...

My mom has 5 foster kids, all with fetal alcohol syndrome. :( Very sad. She also has adopted a baby whose birth mom was a crack addict. She had horrible withdrawal and had nightmares for months, where she would wake up screaming and having seizures. These kids will be have symptoms their whole lives.

:(

The ones with FAS are hyper active, cannot concentrate, constantly repeat themselves, will talk to strangers and walk off with anyone, and NUMEROUS other weird things.

It really really does not make you feel sorry for the birth parents AT ALL.

My mom has 5 foster kids, all with fetal alcohol syndrome. :( Very sad. She also has adopted a baby whose birth mom was a crack addict. She had horrible withdrawal and had nightmares for months, where she would wake up screaming and having seizures. These kids will be have symptoms their whole lives.

:(

The ones with FAS are hyper active, cannot concentrate, constantly repeat themselves, will talk to strangers and walk off with anyone, and NUMEROUS other weird things.

It really really does not make you feel sorry for the birth parents AT ALL.

I wish those children had the right start to life. It breaks my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->