Drug Testing for people on benefits?

LeeBee

Reaction score
The state of Florida just passed this as a law- that all people who apply and receive any type of benefits need to pass a drug test.

I 100% agree with this, and have a feeling it will decrease the number of people who claim benefits by A LOT. What does everyone else think?

Hm well as alot of jobs require drug tests i can see why some would think it should apply to benefits, but what happens to people that test positive for drugs? Are they left on the street with no money, food, home and no support? Its not that simple.

I dont see how it can work, and im 100% anti drugs.

I would like to say I agree with this 100%, but what about the children of people who can't pass the drug test. It is easy to say "get a job then", but they probably won't or might not be able to with the economy. I think of a baby Carter's age and think why should this poor baby suffer and be hungry because his mom is a drug user (obviously it isn't okay for a child of any age to go hungry).

Regarding people with kids... I hadn't thought about that. It would be nice if there were different rules for people with children. But as far as people who test positive and are denied benefits and left out on the street... well, they sort of put themselves there :shrug: They should get off of drugs and then apply for benefits.... obviously don't need them that bad if they can afford to get high!

I just asked my husband this too... he said that if a parent can't get clean long enough to get their benefits, then they shouldn't have their kids in the first place and that they should be taken away. So I suppose if someone (with children) does fail their drug test, they should be closely monitered to determine whether or not further action needs to be taken.

You are opening a huge can of worms here.........

ETA i do understand what u are getting at and to a certain degree i agree but its not that black and white. An addict may not even be paying for their habit with money.

Yes, big can of worms...
With regard to kids being taken away/ given up, the fact is people aren't going to give them up and there is just not enough staff to monitor all of said people.

. But as far as people who test positive and are denied benefits and left out on the street... well, they sort of put themselves there :shrug: !

This is where i no longer agree. An addict needs help. Not be left on the street to die. They have basic human needs and rights just like anyone else. I dont think this is the answer unfortunately :flower:

Just read your last comment Shana and that is a great point.

Heres one for a laugh.

In the UK you actually get MORE benefits if you are on drug/alcoholic :wacko:
:shrug:

I most certainly dont agree with it. However t is the way our system works. The basis of it is that people who are addicted to drugs will get them by any means, most of which involved illegal behaviours. Be that anything from theft to prostitution. In the Uk obviously we have 'free' healthcare ad there are plenty of places to seek help to get clean and free methadone programmes. It is for that reason that I dont think they should get extra beifits.

I think stopping them al together and putting more than likely unstable people out onto the streets will make it a much more dangerous place to live

I agree with what shanandboc is saying, I just can't see this one as black and white

And why pick on just drugs, there's plenty of other undesirable things people can do, why not come down on people who smoke or drink excessively?

I agree with what shanandboc is saying, I just can't see this one as black and white

And why pick on just drugs, there's plenty of other undesirable things people can do, why not come down on people who smoke or drink excessively?

What out the overweight aswell. Cannot be affording too many take-aways either! :haha:

Those are good points... and I agree it's not "black and white," as nice as that would be... but I think it could be a step in the right direction. I think there might be some huge differences with benefits between the US and the UK... but I know that here they are abused, and I think that's because they are too available and easy to get. And I don't think that's helpful for the receivers either. If a drug addict has a "good" life (sitting back, taking their drugs and collecting their weekly check) then where's the motivation to change? And sure, there are people that will do whatever necessary to get what they need... but that doesn't mean that we should make it easier for them to do.

Again, when it comes to kids though... that's where the issue for me comes up (thanks to whoever pointed that out).

I guess I didn't realize my opinion would be in the minority! My republican husband must be rubbing off on me. BTW- are political parties seperated like that where you are all from? As in republican/democratic/independent?

I think that for someone to get the cash portion of ebt there should be drug testing.

what are the aims of the drug tests? is it to punish the people by taking away their benefits or help them? i'm not sure its a good idea, it makes those who aren't drug addicts feel like a criminal and i dont know how it will benefit drug addicts... also as the above poster said, why single out drug addicts when other behaviours like over eating/ alcoholism can be just as damaging.

what are the aims of the drug tests? is it to punish the people by taking away their benefits or help them? i'm not sure its a good idea, it makes those who aren't drug addicts feel like a criminal and i dont know how it will benefit drug addicts... also as the above poster said, why single out drug addicts when other behaviours like over eating/ alcoholism can be just as damaging.

When it comes to the State of Florida doing this, I think it's simply because they want to reduce the amount of money/benefits given out.

I personally don't think people on drugs should be "benefited"... but it's possible they might be. Reminds me of how they keep hiking the tax on cigarettes. It may not stop everyone from smoking, but there are definitely people who will quit just because they can't afford to do it anymore.

And the issue with alcoholism/over eating is that it's a lot more difficult to know where the acceptable line would be drawn, since it's not illegal to do either (even though in some cases it may be just as bad as drug use). But I don't think it should/needs to be an all or nothing situation.

The state of Florida just passed this as a law- that all people who apply and receive any type of benefits need to pass a drug test.

What does everyone else think?

I think a good chunk of state-assisted eastern Kentucky would be screwed if this passed there.

I do think that its good. Although at the same time I totally understand the fear of the children of drug addict families.

There really is a part of me who wants to say "NO" to people who test positive for drugs. I think too it depends on what drug you tested positive for. I don't do them, they don't agree with me. But I have dabbled in them in the past... and what works for someone with marijuana isn't the same as what works for someone who's all messed up on E.

I'm probably also harsh in the sentiment that if you can't get off drugs then maybe you shouldn't have your kids with you. :shrug: I know, I know, I know... everyone's situation isn't like that. I dunno though, for me its food for thought.

What I would love to see happen? If you test positive for illegal drug use that your actions get monitored. You don't get turned away for welfare, but you are scrutinized at any given time. You are then ushered through Detox (if you want it, to stay on welfare) and then hopefully you can get off welfare and off drugs too.

That's in a perfect world though. I don't know of many countries who could actually financially do that.

Those are good points... and I agree it's not "black and white," as nice as that would be... but I think it could be a step in the right direction. I think there might be some huge differences with benefits between the US and the UK... but I know that here they are abused, and I think that's because they are too available and easy to get. And I don't think that's helpful for the receivers either. If a drug addict has a "good" life (sitting back, taking their drugs and collecting their weekly check) then where's the motivation to change? And sure, there are people that will do whatever necessary to get what they need... but that doesn't mean that we should make it easier for them to do.

Again, when it comes to kids though... that's where the issue for me comes up (thanks to whoever pointed that out).

I guess I didn't realize my opinion would be in the minority! My republican husband must be rubbing off on me. BTW- are political parties seperated like that where you are all from? As in republican/democratic/independent?

No, we have 3 main parties (4 in Scotland & Wales) and a number of smaller parties as well. The main ones are Conservatives (currently in power), Labour, Liberal Democrats (also currently in power). In Scotland there is The Scottish National Party (currently in power in the Scottish parliament) and Plaid-Cymru.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->