DS taking in less formula than BM

barbikins

Mom to DD (RIP) & DS
Reaction score
Hey Ladies,

I've recently weaned my son off breast milk and he's on formula full time now. He was taking in 4ounces of BM with each feed and with formula its anything from 3-3.5...so he's eating less.
I'm confused as to why. Is it because it's thicker or heavier than BM?
Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks!

Formula is harder to digest and sits in the stomach longer than breast milk, so yes, it's quite possible it just fills him up more. Also, honestly, it tastes like crap. Breast milk is really nice tasting, but formula tastes and smells like rotten cabbage to me. So it could also just be that he's not used to the taste yet, so doesn't want as much, which is also completely normal. I also noticed he's 6 months. Have you recently started to offer him solids? Or increased the amounts if you started earlier? That will also affect the amount of milk he takes, whether BM or formula. It doesn't sound like a huge decrease though and I imagine you'll see it possibly go up again as he becomes more active and needs more calories in the next couple of months before it decreases again.

Totally normal. Formula is harder to digest so keeps them fuller for longer, hence why formula fed babies tend to sleep longer through the night. I could never fill my son on expressed breast milk. You'd think he was just drinking water!

Yes, he's eating soids. Actually now that he's been on formula for about two weeks, he's taking in his entire 4ounces. Some times a bit less depending on his mood but it's definitely turned a corner.
Yes, I notice that he eats a bit less if he's had solids.
He doesn't however sleep longer on formula...or solids :(

How often does he feed? Does he drain the 4oz sometimes? Sorry it's just 4oz doesn't seem a lot for a 6mo. My 4mo drinks 6/7 oz at a time.

I agree with hanni. It's one thing to say that they are drinking 4oz but how many times per day. When it comes to formula babies typically drink 1.5 oz for ever lb of baby weight. It maxes out at a certain amount per day but I forget what it is, you can find that online.

If you are feeding 4 oz, maybe you are feeding too close to meal time and lo is not hungry. It could also be the number of times you are feeding per day.

Owen was eating every 2.5 hours - 4 ounces...now its every 3 hours.
He eats between 28-32 ounces a day...but now that he eats more solids, that's decreased a bit. He's probably around 24-28 Ounces a day!

That sounds like what I am feeding. This is the general rule for formula feeding:

Between birth and six months of age your baby will need an average of 2 to 2.5 ounces of formula per pound per day. So, if your baby weighs ten pounds, she will need 20 to 25 ounces per day.

That sounds like what I am feeding. This is the general rule for formula feeding:

Between birth and six months of age your baby will need an average of 2 to 2.5 ounces of formula per pound per day. So, if your baby weighs ten pounds, she will need 20 to 25 ounces per day.

This means my 4.5 mo should be drinking nearly 50oz of formula a day 😯 no wonder we go through so much 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->