Dumb question. Just curious.

AnnaLaura

TTC #1
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My doctor asked me to have a blood test today before I go in to see him. So I did. My hCG was 4.5, and since the lab's cutoff is 5.3, it's negative.

But why did any hCG show up? I've had two other blood tests since December and they both read <1. I know that generally any test that's less than 5 is a negative result, but what is the mechanism or whatever in the test that would pick up hCG in a non-pregnant woman? :confused: I was thinking it's some kind of margin of error but that wouldn't apply on a quantitative test.

It's still kind of annoying to think that if my number had come back 0.8 points higher she would have told me it's positive. :growlmad:

How many dpo are you?

I have no idea. I'm really messed up this cycle. LMP was August 21, 2 days of spotting on CD 10 & 11, which I thought was ov, then no period on ~Sept. 16 as due, two days of EWCM on CD37 & 38. It's CD 44 now.

I don't know why the lab's cutoff is 5.3 (which seems to be normal and even lower than some labs). She was really busy when I called for the results so I couldn't ask.

Could be too early ,mine was a 5 one cycle and my doctor said I was not pregnant AF showed a few days later. I still wonder if it could have been a chemical pregnancy. if another week go's by with no AF go back in for another blood test. good luck!.

Could be too early ,mine was a 5 one cycle and my doctor said I was not pregnant AF showed a few days later. I still wonder if it could have been a chemical pregnancy. if another week go's by with no AF go back in for another blood test. good luck!.

Thank you, that's what I plan to do. I thought AF was coming for sure with the "additional" CM last week, but nothing. I don't know. I was looking over my records for the last year and I swear I've had only 2 cycles without some sort of weirdness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->