Dummy...wits end!

Teri7489

Proud mummy
Reaction score
My ds (who will be 2 next month) is driving me insane! All of a sudden he has become SO fussy over his dummy. We have tonnes in the house - different kinds for both kids. He now won't take any but still wants one. He asks for, puts it in his mouth then throws it away saying "bleugh"

HELP!

Last night he screamed the place down and eventually took the dummy I gave him. Today in town he had his nap without a dummy, again after a meltdown. Should I just take it away? His sister is almost 4 and won't go to sleep without 1 so maybe my chance to get rid?

Guess it couldn't hurt to try. No experience with dummies myself but guessing if throwing he doesn't really want one they have perhaps become more a habit?

I think I'd take this opportunity to try and get rid of it. I got rid of daughter's when she turned 2. I threw them all away (so i wouldn't give in) and we had about 3 bad nights and then all was fine. Good luck.

Got rid of my DDs a fair few months ago now and it was a pretty easy transition first of all then we had a few bad nights but after that she just accepted it- would take this as your chance! She sleeps better now without as she doesn't wake looking for it!

I tried with my 4yo and it was hell. The worst few weeks of our life, screaming for hours until she passed out so she got it back. I'm hoping that determination stays with her in life and comes to good use! For Alexander he has suddenly gone back to accepting the other ones lol. Turns out his teeth are bothering him. After this passes I'm going to get rid of his dummy as he managed 2 naps without it and fell asleep with it but didn't need it after that at night.

This. It sounds like a great opportunity to get rid of it.

I'd personally take it away from both of them and not make a big deal out of it, I'd just chuck them in the bin and say I can't find any. Maybe do it at a time when there is nobody getting up in the morning for work though. We ditched our daughters at 8 months and I'm so glad we did it when she was still small, I think it gets harder the longer you leave it.

I should have done it with my 3 year old a long time ago but didn't think it would be a problem, now it's just hard work. She is addicted to it. I don't think my son will be hard work, but she will be. Just throwing them in the bin and saying no more won't be that easy as last time we tried that she literally screamed non stop for hours each night till she fell asleep for weeks. No amount of cuddles or anything helped. I'd rather she just had the dummy than do that to her

This will sound silly but... my mom likes to tell people how she got me to get rid of mine at 4. We drove to a farm, she pointed out some calves and said 'oh no they don't have soothers (dummies) they must be so sad!' apparently I cheerfully said they could have mine! Aaand threw it in their pen, and never used one again. When I would ask for one she would say the baby cows still needed, I'd say 'oh ok' and that was that :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->