Dutch names?

Rhio92

Connor, Saskia, OH & Me
Reaction score
I conceived in Amsterdam on holiday, and OH wants to consider Dutch middle names! :dohh: :blush:

Oh wow, congratulations!

The only ones I know are Sylvian, Julian (pronounced Whoo-lean), Menno, Joepie, Sjoerd for boys and Miriam, Francien, Annemieka (sp), Mathilde, Veerie, Yetska (sp) for girls.

My cousins are half Dutch but of course also half English so a lot of names used in that side of the family are common, like Tom and Daniel. One thing they do do in Holland is take the first part of the first and middle names and create a longer name that becomes the name they commonly use. For example Annemieka, my aunt, is taken from Anne-something and then a weird Dutch middle name, and the two combined.

Also, stalking my youngest cousin's FB page a lot of the names aren't too Dutch sounding. For example the first names are Eva, Merel, Ruby and Marissa. There is a Luuk (boy) and Marloes (girl) in tagged photos though, and they are pretty cool IMO.

Congratulations!! I have a few Dutch family members and students and I love their names. Some of my faves are:
Girls:
Myrthe
Marloes (love this)
Manon (can't remember if this is how it's spelt)
Anouk
And floral names are popular- my cousin's OH is named Iris but the I is pronounced phonetically. Their LO is named Lilly, floral names are popular.

Boys
Jasper
Lars
Niels
Luek/Luuk
Leif (one of my favourite boy names)

Imagine if your child has a unique dutch name - ppl will always comment on it and/or ask you/him why he was given that name. Just my opinion, but I doubt your son will find it "sweet" to say... "Well I was conceived in Amsterdam on holiday." Just something to consider! :flower:

Imagine if your child has a unique dutch name - ppl will always comment on it and/or ask you/him why he was given that name. Just my opinion, but I doubt your son will find it "sweet" to say... "Well I was conceived in Amsterdam on holiday." Just something to consider! :flower:

No one needs to know this fact, including our family and friends, it'll just be 'we fell in love with this name in Amsterdam' :haha:

I knew a dutch girl called Mareijke (sp?) pronounced "mar-EE-ka" that I thought was pretty.

My mom's first name is Maryke (mar-I-ka). Similar to Mareike and the like, but slightly different pronunciation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->