Ear covering

alibaba24

Reaction score
My 5,5 DD covers her ears. This has been on going since age 3 when she took a huge fright at a hand dryer whilst potty training. She has had some sensory issues but mostly outgrown them. But the ear covering has stayed granted it is ALOT less hardly ever now aside public toilets . anyway any time I try to Google this all I can find is pages on autism. Iv been told its highly unlikely she's on the autism spectru . She sees a pediatric every 6 months . I guess I'm looking to see if any others kids do it and why ... What you know about it etc

My dd is 6 and still covers her ears sometimes when using a public restroom. Those dryers can be extremely loud. She I'd not autistic, so I wouldn't be concerned. Maybe she's just sensitive to the sound.

My DD will cover her ears too when somebody is using one of those hand dryers. The newer style of hand dryers are super loud. I cringe sometimes when I hear somebody using one.

I think it's somewhat normal to cover the ears when there are super loud noises. My DD has rather sensitive hearing and it's probably painful to her. When she does it, I find the sound rather objectionable too.

My son does it and my 2.5 year old niece. My son did it in the swimming pool till he got used to the noise level.

My DD has just outgrown this fear, at one point she wouldn't even go in public toilets because of it.We went on a trip the other day with serveral of her friends from school and over half the kids refused to go near the dryers because they were so scared of them.

At 7 Hannah still does this at times :). she's not ASD she just doesn't like the sound!

Thanks all good to see its not too unusual x

My daughters done it since she was 2, she's 3 at the end of the month. One of her friends who is 2 weeks older than her does it too. It's just at loud stuff like ambulances, motorbikes etc.

Frankie sometimes covers his ears at loud noises but not at others. I'm guessing it would be a consistent sensitivity to be considered an autistic issue x

Iv been paying proper attention to it lately and iv noticed its anything she's scared of rather than it being purely noise related like if a scary bit comes on TV she will put hands on ears maybe for 2-3 seconds then once she feels ok she will remove them. It's like some type of comfort x

Yep thats why my DD does it, she has no signs of autism it's just a reaction to loud noise. X

It can be a sign of autism but it's also a normal childhood trait as far as I can tell. If there's nothing else going on I wouldn't worry. My 4.5 year old covers her ears at hand dryers and other loud noises, mostly I think for dramatic effect haha!

I'd say its normal. My DS 6yrs, DD 2yrs and Grandson 2yrs all do this. Handdryers, motorbikes, trucks passing, fireworks and airshows, all get a hands on ears response. They just appear to have sensitive ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->