Early GD diagnosis

Ellivort

Reaction score
Diagnosed at just 14 wks barely. Very upsetting. Waiting on nurse to call for my insulin education ��

Anyone been diagnosed this early. Not sure what to expect for rest of pregnancy. I didn't have a single issue with DD 7 years ago. Ofc i was younger then o_O

I started getting spikes at 7 weeks and have full blown GD at 10 weeks. I was insulin dependant in my last pregnancy but wasn't diagnosed until 24 weeks.

How are you feeling?

I started getting spikes at 7 weeks and have full blown GD at 10 weeks. I was insulin dependant in my last pregnancy but wasn't diagnosed until 24 weeks.

How are you feeling?

Overall I feel ok, but I wonder if I'll feel better once I start the insulin. I had impaired fasting glucose prior to pregnancy, so it was always a possibility.

Fasting sugars are in the 7s which puts me at a bad start to the day. We are starting with just morning insulin to get the morning sugars down into the 5s. Post meal my sugars are anywhere from 5 up to 9, so really all over.

We will see how it goes and if better controlled sugars improve how I feel.

Really sad to hear about you. But the good news is that many women, those are suffering with gestational diabetes can control their blood sugar levels with diet and exercise. Your doctor or dietitian may design an individualised diet that takes into account your weight, stage of pregnancy, and food preferences. Eating a variety of foods is recommended, and it is better to eat smaller portions throughout the day rather than just a few large meals. Keep High-fibre foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as whole-grain products in your diet, it is effective in keeping blood sugar levels stable.

I was diagnosed with gd at 7 weeks. Unfortunately I was prediabetic before I got pregnant so I was expecting it. Not expecting to have to start insulin at 9 weeks but couldn't keep my fasting numbers under control. It feels like it's going to be a long pregnancy.

My OB tested me early this pregnancy as well, but apparently if it comes early enough they treat like type 2 diabetes instead, especially since I hadn't bothered being checked after my last pregnancy. I initially failed the 1 hour challenge but was easily under for the longer test. At 24 weeks he started me testing fasting numbers and told me to just test periodically.

I have historically struggled with low blood sugar, so this has been a really steep learning curve for me. I hope to be able to handle it with just diet alone - I did really well with my first GD pregnancy, but not so well last time. The holiday period is really hard for me (and winter in general), with the lack of great fresh veggies.

Everyone seems to be a bit different, but having a bedtime snack that included a small amount of carb with some good protein and a bit of fat (cheese and frozen yogurt bars seemed to be best) helped my fasting numbers, and then having a breakfast of peanut butter on whole wheat 'thin sliced' bread/sandwich thins seemed to help the whole day be better.

Good luck and I hope you are able to find what works for you right away :)

Diagnosed at just 14 wks barely. Very upsetting. Waiting on nurse to call for my insulin education ��

Anyone been diagnosed this early. Not sure what to expect for rest of pregnancy. I didn't have a single issue with DD 7 years ago. Ofc i was younger then o_O

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully it'll still be a smooth pregnancy and can be managed with diet/exercise.

I'm actually very nervous myself. I have been warned by my midwife that in February I'll be tested for GB because I'm high risk: I am a bit overweight, although I do regular exercise, and I do have polycistic ovaries syndrome.

I'm worried this means I'm certain to be diagnosed with it. I worry what this will mean for my baby/pregnancy and I am also feeling frustrated I've got to wait until February to be tested in the first place.

So far I have had a normal, healthy pregnancy and I am 28 wks. Sugars are well controlled with diet and insulin working together. Weight gain has been kept minimal and baby has checked out healthy at all points.

Heading into this final stretch it is supposed to get harder and riskier. So we will see.

It has been a long haul to this point, but so far has not been to far off my experience with my first daughter.

I still worry about end of pregnancy complications, but all I can do is do my best and put my faith in the healthcare providers monitoring my care

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->