Early puberty?

Amy_T

Mummy of 3 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am writing regarding my daughter who will turn 8 in September. For some time I have been concerned about her hormones! She has needed deodorant for about 2-3 years and I've taken her to docs before as she has mood swings which are so obviously hormonal but doc said there was nothing to indicate a concern at that point (was over year ago). However, she has developed hair under her arms and more recently on her groin. I think she is showing the first signs of breast development too.

So, my question is - is this too early or just the lower end of normal?! I was 10 when I started my periods so chances are she will be early but I can't remember how early I grew hair etc.

Thanks!

It's normal. She may well have hit puberty before her peers but she is at that age. My friends daughter was only 8 when she started her periods, before her elder sister had.

She is lucky she has an understanding mum

Thank you, I thought so, think just wanted reassurance. Hoping she'll go a little while longer before starting her periods though, she wouldn't cope well with that just yet!

I posted something about early puberty and my experience with my daughter a year ago. I would like to share the link with you:
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/kids-teenagers/1051417-my-dd-has-precocious-puberty.html

Wow, thank you that's really interesting and certainly sounds just like my daughter. She is also very tall for her age, towers above all her friends (and I'm only 5'2" so she's rapidly catching me up).

Wondering if I should take her back to the doctors or if they would say it is normal now she's approaching 8? X

I would think that is just on the lower side of the "normal" range- I believe 8 is when it can typically start. My SD was on the older side of average- so was I. But the hormones and hair etc... that can start well before our period. I only remember my SD being on the later side because she would mention how all her friends were getting boobs and needing training bra's and she SO desperately wanted one too- I finally caved and got her a little cotton bra-let to make her feel more grownup-- although she didn't actually need one for probably 2 more yrs.

Certainly doesn't hurt to ask if you have concerns though hun. Better to at least get that reassurance.

Sorry I just got back to B and B now. Is it possible to take your daughter to a endocrinologist? It wouldn't hurt to have it checked. My daughter is almost 9 and is 4'10" and 96 lbs. She is still the tallest in her batch and I am keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn't get her period yet.

My daughter started developing at about 8. She is 10 now and started her period about 6 months ago. She is 5'1 and about 130 lbs. Almost going into a "C" cup. :( I hate that she has to deal with all of this so early on. She is still such a baby. Thankfully at the beginning she really only spotted for a couple days but these last couple months we have been on the exact same cycle from start to finish. She is still such a baby .. :(

My dd is 9.5 and just pointed out to me that she is getting pubic hair and under her arm pits, eek! She has a little bit of breast development but not much, it is so hard to come to terms with this cause in my mind she's still so young! From everything I've read said it can start anytime between 8-14. So puberty here we come :wacko:

Thanks for the replies ladies... Thinking I might have to face facts that puberty is imminentl, poor little lady, she's only just left infants school!! Hopefully other things will hang fire a bit longer.

My DD will be 8 in September too and I've just started noticing that her legs are getting a bit hairy. I don't think she'll hit puberty just yet though - I was a month short of being 12 when I started my periods, and didn't wear bra until at least 11, but just the fact that her legs are getting a bit hairy makes me kinda sad tbh coz she's growing up so fast.

*sniffle*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->