Early Weaning

moo2

Mommy to George
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,
Without boring everyone with the details, due to George's cleft palate we had to start weaning at 17 weeks.
All the info I've got on weaning assumes you start at 6 months so I'm a bit confused now.... :wacko:

George has gone through first tastes and is happy with his first stage weaning foods. In the second stage weaning info it says to start introducing meat, fish etc. This would normally be at 7 months but if I start with George after 4 weeks of first stage weaning he will only be 21 weeks....

Is this too early for protein? Should I carry on with veg & fruit until he's 6 months...

I'm so clueless sometimes!!! :blush:

Thanks xxxx

I weaned Alex at 4 months and tbh have kept to fruit anf veg up until a week ago, when I started introducing foods containing gluten and dairy products. I'm attempting meat this week too. But the main reason I steered clear of meat was becuase I'm vegetarian and I didn't feel confident feedingit to Alex before now, if I ate meat then I would probably have given it to him earlier - I think you're allowed.

However, Alex went happily on 3 meals a day of fruit and veg for 2 months and we just combined lots of different fruit and veg, added a few mild herbs and he was fine. It is confusing but as guidance I'd just say steer clear of dairy, gluten, fish, eggs and honey before 6 months and just make sure that you allow a couple of days of eating a new food to check that your lo doesn't have any allergies.

Hope this helps :hugs:

Thanks Lulu,
Good advice - much appreciated! :thumbup:
Looks like little Alex is doing well on it, he's so cute x
Vickie xxx

Hi Chick
I was born with a cleft pallate and double lip. I was early weaned and done me no harm.
My daughter doesnt have teh same as me but i still weaned her at 3/4 months alongside milk :p
She is healthy too. She used to love crushed buscuits, blended veg and fruit :p

You will be fine weaning him onto meat and if you'll find his body will let you know if its not agreeing with him so early on :p

Hi Chick
I was born with a cleft pallate and double lip. I was early weaned and done me no harm.
My daughter doesnt have teh same as me but i still weaned her at 3/4 months alongside milk :p
She is healthy too. She used to love crushed buscuits, blended veg and fruit :p

You will be fine weaning him onto meat and if you'll find his body will let you know if its not agreeing with him so early on :p

Thanks lovely!
There will be no stopping us now :winkwink:
I don't know what a double lip is? Is it different to cleft lip? Either way you look great in your pic, I hope George looks as good after all his operations :hugs:

My LO doesnt have a cleft lip but he was also weened early - hes just started on 3 meals a day @ 20 weeks. Mainly things like veg/fruit/baby rice purees so far. My HV recommended it for us and he loves it!!!

Good Luck :)

Jayden doesnt have a cleft palate or anything but I was thinking the same question earlier about introducing meat

He has 3 cubes of veg twice a day and a baby brekkie in am but i think hes getting abit bored of his veg, hid fave is peas and brocolli so aslong as they are in each meal hes ok, Im looking forward to adding some meat, so exciting

A double lip is as simple as it sounds actually. I had my bottom lip, thenon the inside of it i had another lip. I had to undergo a lot of operations as was born and put into intensive care.
I was fed using Sheep Teet's - the extra long teets so i oculd drink the milk. i was then weaned really early :)

A double lip is as simple as it sounds actually. I had my bottom lip, thenon the inside of it i had another lip. I had to undergo a lot of operations as was born and put into intensive care.
I was fed using Sheep Teet's - the extra long teets so i oculd drink the milk. i was then weaned really early :)

Thanks for replying... :blush: hope you didn't mind me asking...

I am still on a big learning curve about George's condition as I didn't know about it until he was born so things are still quite new. I'm really interested in other peoples cleft experiences so that I can try and help George as he grows up. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->