EBM fortifier and stomach problems?

Sam182

Mum to a 27 week preemie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Alex is on 12ml and hour of full EBM + cow and gate nutriprem fortifier (one sachet to 50ml of milk). I've noticed that shortly after being fed he gets very upset and he goes red and looks like he's holding his breath and he wriggles around. I've read that some fortifiers cab cause stomach upsets and I wonder if anyone has any experience of this? I plan on asking advice from the staff but I want to be prepared as I don't want fobbed off. They've told me they won't do anything unless he is vomiting or having de-sats but he just seems so unhappy. Hope someone can help!

Reece had that too with the ebm fortifier, It was causing reece to get a little bagged up, was told can sometimes happens, Does eventually resolve when their little tummies get used to it. Hard to watch, we used a little coconut oil and gave his little tummy a massage when doing his cares, this sometimes helped ease a little. xx

When my son was in the NICU everytime they would start him on the fortifier his stomach would swell, he actually almost developed NEC. Later on we fount out he had a slight allergy to cow milk.

Amelia didnt tolerate the fortifier so they took her off it but she didnt put on weight without it. So she went on to formula.

Callum was fine with the fortifier but Noah's stomach would swell right up when they introduced it. It got so bad at one stage that they completely stopped his feeds and had to build him up from 2mls all over again!

Once he was back up to his normal feeds they introduced the fortifier for a week, it affected his tummy again but this time they decided that he was putting on weight without it so they removed it completely again.

Hope it calms down for your little boy soon :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->