Eeek telephone interview tomorrow

Natsku

Reaction score
I am absolutely shit at talking on the phone and end up sounding completely stupid or just mumbling so they can't understand me, but I have to do a job interview over the phone tomorrow - any advice or tips?!
Its for a job teaching English so I'd rather not sound utterly incompetent at speaking English!

When I had one for HSBC the guy on the phone was lovely and I told him I was slightly nervous and he was nice, just told me to take my time, I even ended up laughing at one point! I passed that interview which for me was a result because I'm usually crap! Just relax is all I can say xx

I've always been told treat a telephone interview like a normal interview. Get yourself dressed in work appropriate clothes and make sure you aren't sitting slouched on the couch or something.

Whenever I have difficult phone calls to make at my work I find standing up at my desk makes me feel/sound more in control or assured. Works for me anyway!

I hope you get the job. Best of luck

Joy x

Standing up sounds a good idea, I think that would help me too. I just hope they don't call while I'm in the loo or something like that!

I give telephone interview as part of my job, and I always take into account that people may be nervous. Try and stick to the questions asked and be as clear as U can in answers. Perhaps right a few notes down tonight so you have some prompts to help you remember things. Always try and link the questions back to experience you have had and try and answers questions with "if I got the job I would do......." also try and link in relevant experience as to why you think you would be good for the job and lastly (and the hardest part!!) try and relax! Good luck!!

Making some notes tonight is a good idea, I always freeze up and forget things on the phone.

Not my strong point either - I find pacing helps me, and I agree with the dressing smart idea. If you feel professional and smart that should come across.

Could be worth having a few phrases written down for when you are lost for words maybe? And a copy of the job application and your CV to hand.

Good luck! :flower:

I don't even have a CV at the moment :dohh: My application pretty much consisted of "I'd be good for the job because I speak English and I have a kid who is learning English from me..." :haha:

It went alright! Was really relaxed, not really an interview at all, I think he decided to give me the job before he even called (probably I was the only one in my area to apply). Of course it all depends on whether there's enough local interest that there would be anyone actually to teach...

Excellent, good work! :thumbup:

Fingers crossed it all works out for you x

Just got to email them a summary of what I skills I offer and how I would approach the work so need to think that through carefully.

Got the job :happydance: Looks like it might be more than just a summer job, contract is until the end of the year

Thanks you lot. Although OH has got me worried now because he googled the company and there's a lot of negative feedback from ex-employees.

They always say people who have a negative experience shout the loudest, I wouldn't believe all you read on the net! Good luck and keep an open mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->