Elective Section, pros and cons?

DreamCatcher_

Reaction score
So, I'm only 18 weeks but the 34 week mark seems to be approaching pretty quickly, and I'm no where near ready to make a decision.

What pros and cons are there of an elective section? I'm so torn between definitely wanting one and being dead set against them.

So far I have ...

Pro:
* you know the exact date of section and can plan
* no labouring beforehand, unless in natural labour
* I've heard elcs has a better recovery than emcs because your body isn't stressed and tired
* unless major complications it's pretty straight forward and no need for forceps, intervention etc
* definitely gets rid of my fear of natural birth

Con:
* longer recovery than a straight forward natural delivery
* longer stay in hospital
* major surgery
* needing help for roughly 6 weeks (driving etc)

Can you add anything else?

If there is no medical need for a section I would strongly urge you not to have a section for any other reason. This is coming from someone who has had my first two children normally and my third via an elected section due to a 4th degree rare and shoulder dystocia with my second birth which was only 6 months prior to me getting pregnant again. I would have taken 10 of my second births and recovery over a section any day. I think people underestimate that it is major abdominal surgery and I wouldn't have one unless it was medically necessary.

I had an EMCS with my DS for various issues, the long and short being my body's failure to labour, complications over his weight (suspected, undiagnosed GD), my pelvic arch and width not being too great for labour, his position and so on.

With this pregnancy I have a low, anterior placenta (as of 17 weeks), which could result in a CS. I will be tested for GD and could result in CS. If baby weighs over a certain size at growth scans I will have a CS. My consultant will not induce me and won't let me go past 41 weeks so, if that happens, I'll need a CS. If I labour for too long and my body fails to progress like last time my consultant will go for an emcs due to possible rupture (my womb tore getting DS out as his size was underestimated). It just seems wise to get the facts rather than being dead set against it, as there's a whole host of possible courses that will result in one any way.

I had an elcs with my son after an emcs with my daughter four days after induction. I had non progressive labour (9cm back to 6cm) and she was too big for me to get out...although they kept telling me I could birth her the surgeon said she was bigger than my pelvis. I also ended in emergency theatre after the loss of my son due to retained placenta and a pph.

I opted for elcs with my son due to fear of another big baby and physically not being able to birth him and also the fear of another pph which was scary as hell on top of my anxieties over another loss.

I would say my pros were;
I knew when I was having baby
I felt more confident that I wouldn't be left like with dd and he would be born with no messing around
I had a precious cs so knew what to expect and how to better my recovery
my anxiety over something going wrong in labour was ruled out, although I know things can still happen.

cons;
recovery can be a bit of a nightmare
it's scary knowing you're going to be cut open! with my emcs I was so tired and out of it I didn't care what they did to me but when you're stone cold sober it's scary!
I didn't get to hold ds until I was out in recovery so oh git first hold same as with dd. I was disappointed but got over it within 10 seconds seeing how magical it was for him to hold first again.

not sure where you're from but in the UK they tend to let you out next day as long as you're both ok. I had ds at 2.22pm and was out by 6pm following day.

recovery wasn't any different to emcs to be honest just keep moving even though the pain is there. I really think that helped me recover well and feel good by about week 3. The burn is a bitch though when you're standing up!!

I'm glad I had my elcs - I had complications with my bladder being attached to scar tissue from my emcs with dd (no symptoms just found out during the op) so that had to be resolved and I was told that they'd advise no more children. I wouldn't have known that with a natural birth and could have ruptured.

also of you're planning on breastfeeding it didn't impact on milk coming in

xx

Thanks! My MWs were also certain that DS would fit but after his birth they concluded there was no way he was getting out that way!

I think I'm going between being scared of surgery and being scared of labour going the way it did before.

I was kept in for 3 days after my emcs but that might change with an elcs. God, even talking about it makes me feel queasy because I'm so undecided!

I had the worst pain after an emergency c section. If the epidural doesn't work you have to be put to sleep. My son wad born drowsy and I lost half the blood in my body. We didnt see each other until 12 hrs after the op. We didn't see our son be born as only the medical staff are allowed in the room when its general anesthetic c section

Thanks! My MWs were also certain that DS would fit but after his birth they concluded there was no way he was getting out that way!

I think I'm going between being scared of surgery and being scared of labour going the way it did before.

I was kept in for 3 days after my emcs but that might change with an elcs. God, even talking about it makes me feel queasy because I'm so undecided!

I was also kept in after my Emcs - I ended up discharging myself. This time my boood levels were good and they just make you wee but told me to save it up as you have to be able to wee a certain amount so to go when I was desperate rather than a dribble :haha:

I was the same in terms of how you're feeling but honestly once they started I was absolutely fine, it's just the psychological effects on you knowing what's happening.

Also in relation to needing a GA that's really unlikely - they used an epidural when I delivered dd by Emcs as labour had already started but they'll use a spinal with a planned section which is loads better but totally odd not being able to move your legs and how quickly it kicks in. Still odd remembering them moving my leg.

Don't get me wrong, it's a major op (as you know) just do whatever feels best for you. Yes natural birth is ideal and possibly "easier" or less problematic but not all the time.

You'll make a decision with what's best for you and baby and that's all that matters :hugs:

With my first I had an elective CS at 37w4d due to a large baby and being of "advanced maternal age with a health morbidity (BMI over 40)". So I've never had a vaginal birth (yet!). My water broke and labor never started. I was neither dilated nor effaced.

The entire process was quick. I had a spinal block which numbed me from chest down. The actual procedure (including placenta removal and stitches) was 12 minutes. At my hospital they never separate mother and child (meaning you are always in the same room; all exams/tests are done in your room). My son was placed on me skin-to-skin once I was off the operating table and he never left my sight.

I was in hospital for 3 days. Was allowed to drink right away. Was allowed to eat (soft food) after I passed gas and peed about 16 fl oz of urine. I had a urine catheter for 1 day. Pain management was great - mostly ibuprofen; narcotics for when it got bad.

My milk came in on the 4th day postpartum. Never had issues with supply. I felt "normal" from 4 weeks and was back to regular life and work at 6 weeks.

Oh I was constipated for about 10 days postpartum. Didnt take any meds - rather I drank a kettle of tea that my mum brewed from African herbs. Whew! Lets just say that when I went, it took multiple flushes before everything was cleared out LOL. The constipation never came back.

Thanks a lot ladies. I'm swaying to the elcs because,after my first, labour terrifies me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->