Elevated BP, no protein?

Mjane84

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had an appointment today, and my BP was 130/70. The Doctor was not worried, and said it could be elevated because I was being shuffled around a bit (had to do my glucose test this morning, too) and there was no protein in my urine.

Pre-pregnancy, I have always had low BP. However, my last few appointments, my systolic has been up over 120. I do find myself nervous going to the Doc, so maybe it is sort of a white coat syndrome?

Has anyone had anything like this, or have any advice?

I had that happen before and typically my numbers run about 110/60 or 120/70.
But one time it was up more like 140/80. They had me come back in for a recheck and it was fine (i had no protein in urine). The reason i believe i got the elevated BP reading was bc they were talking to me while they were taking it. And i had to answer questions, The nurse made me hold my arm out funny so it took some muscle use to keep it steady. And they were discussing induction (which i didn't want, so i was slightly stressed).

So i agree with your doctor. It probably did have much to do with the events of today. Also, it's not a concern until it gets over 140. Yes 120 is standard, but the worry doesn't happen until you get multiple readings over 140.

Ever since then i make every effort to not speak during the BP cuffing and to make sure my arm is rested out nicely. My MWs also wait until ive been sitting for a bit. If you do it after walking even a few steps it can give a funky reading like that. Or if you are thinking about something that's not nuteral (either gets your excited or on the other end worried/stressed, etc) that can have an effect and give off a false "high" reading.

Yeah, when I am rushed for my appts or take my toddler to appts, my bp is always higher. I have been to appointments where my bp was 130/78, and then the next appointment it is 116/70. They have never said anything. I asked the nurse once, and she asked me if I was rushed or anxious (I was), and she said that the top number is a good sign that your are anxious or stressed. Your bottom number being 70 is great, so I'm sure that is why they aren't worried! I started getting really nervous b/c I had pre-e in my last pregnancy, so I bought a bp machine for $20 at the grocery store. It is accurate with the doctor's office, and it helps my bp be lower at my appointments b/c I know what it is at home :)

Don't worry. It's really not that high. They generally only worry about the second number if its above 80 x

its def not that high. my usual is something like 118/72 and i have had 130/80 and they said this is normal.

at my last appt it went to 145/92 so then they did a blood test and ultrasound, which were normal and then the pressure went down on its own. i was really stressed out before my appt, my babysitter came late, i was rushing, etc.

Thank you all so much! I definitely feel a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->