Elf on the Shelf?

daneuse27

Reaction score
Elf in the Shelf has become pretty popular where I live (in Canada), not sure how well known it is in other areas..

I just bought the book with the elf, and am looking forward to getting started. Just wondering how others introduced their elf for the first time to their kids, and what kinds of creative things they have the elf found in the morning by their kid(s)?

Just looking for ideas, suggesions and stories. :)

It's popular here (US) too. There are ideas on pinterest. I'm still deciding if I want to do it this year or wait as dd will be 2 yr 7 mth at Christmas, I'm not sure if she's too young.

It's getting more popular here (UK) too. This will be the third year our elf, Errol, visits us. His first year Hayden would have just turned 2 and he loved him. So much so that when we put him next to the stockings and told him Santa would pick him up and take him back home, Hayden grabbed him and ran off shouting 'No! My Errol!'

You can really do whatever works for you, I don't know what the book says as we don't have it, and our elf is a soft toy, not the original. Here's how it works in our house:

Errol arrives 1st december and hangs and fills the stocking garland we use as an advent calendar. He also brings a letter from Santa, explaining why he is there and what Santa would like the children to do. He is not there to spy - he is a mischievous elf and Santa wants him to learn to be kind and helpful, and the main thing is that his visit is fun for everyone. What he does during the rest of his visit depends on what we are doing, and whether I am working. On busy days with not much time he will usually just hide somewhere fun, like in the Christmas tree, or the kids' wellies if they are going out in them. If I have time the night before he might be found playing with the kids' toys (he has built things with Duplo, formed a band with other Christmas cuddlies, and ridden on a train set for example) or he might play a little joke, like hanging the kids' underwear on the tree. If the kids are going to be home he might leave a craft activity, like making paper chains or a little tree decoration. He once spent an entire evening making paper snowflakes and stuck them on the window. Occasionally he brings a little present, usually Christmas books or DVDs. He is not particularly naughty, and does not make big messes. On the morning of Christmas Eve he always brings new pyjamas to be worn on Christmas morning, and ingredients for reindeer food to be sprinkled on the lawn (porridge oats and edible glitter). At bedtime we put him by the fireplace with Santa's mince pie and glass of milk, and Santa takes him home when he delivers the presents. The kids really seem to enjoy it, and Hayden has already asked if he will come this year. It can be a bit time consuming, but I enjoy it too, so I don't mind.

Pinterest is good for ideas x

It's getting more popular here (UK) too. This will be the third year our elf, Errol, visits us. His first year Hayden would have just turned 2 and he loved him. So much so that when we put him next to the stockings and told him Santa would pick him up and take him back home, Hayden grabbed him and ran off shouting 'No! My Errol!'

You can really do whatever works for you, I don't know what the book says as we don't have it, and our elf is a soft toy, not the original. Here's how it works in our house:

Errol arrives 1st december and hangs and fills the stocking garland we use as an advent calendar. He also brings a letter from Santa, explaining why he is there and what Santa would like the children to do. He is not there to spy - he is a mischievous elf and Santa wants him to learn to be kind and helpful, and the main thing is that his visit is fun for everyone. What he does during the rest of his visit depends on what we are doing, and whether I am working. On busy days with not much time he will usually just hide somewhere fun, like in the Christmas tree, or the kids' wellies if they are going out in them. If I have time the night before he might be found playing with the kids' toys (he has built things with Duplo, formed a band with other Christmas cuddlies, and ridden on a train set for example) or he might play a little joke, like hanging the kids' underwear on the tree. If the kids are going to be home he might leave a craft activity, like making paper chains or a little tree decoration. He once spent an entire evening making paper snowflakes and stuck them on the window. Occasionally he brings a little present, usually Christmas books or DVDs. He is not particularly naughty, and does not make big messes. On the morning of Christmas Eve he always brings new pyjamas to be worn on Christmas morning, and ingredients for reindeer food to be sprinkled on the lawn (porridge oats and edible glitter). At bedtime we put him by the fireplace with Santa's mince pie and glass of milk, and Santa takes him home when he delivers the presents. The kids really seem to enjoy it, and Hayden has already asked if he will come this year. It can be a bit time consuming, but I enjoy it too, so I don't mind.

I LOVE these ideas. Thanks! :) I like the idea that he is not there to 'spy' and it sounds like you have come up with a lot of creative ways for him to entertain your kids.

Thanks for that. I was concerned my 2 year old might be too young, but seems yours loved it, so I'm going to try it this year. I like your idea on the elf showing up with the advent calendar...stealing that one. thx

Our elf comes on dec 1st with their dec 1st pack which contains advent calendars, Xmas jumpers, Xmas socks and some books and little Xmas activities last year was a paint your own decoration, he also brings with him stuff to decorate the table for a North Pole breakfast

Ours comes out on December 1st with the advent calendars and a letter from Santa. This year will be the 3rd year we have had Elf on the Shelf, my LO's were 2 and 4 when we first had it and they've always loved it. As PP said Pinterest is good for ideas. Ours is a soft toy one from Build A Bear rather than the original because it creeps me out a little if I'm honest :haha: Ours is a girl. My oldest wanted a girl called Sparkle and it's stuck.

I didn't do something every night, as I just don't always have time, and on school mornings neither did they :haha:. But we had cotton wool balls and she had a snowball fight with some of their other toys. She had the toilet roll and had thrown it all over the bathroom. She got talc all over the table and wrote her name. Reading their favourite stories on the carpet. She'd hide somewhere with the TV remote. The boys love it.

I really want to do Elf on a shelf this year but never done it before. Where can I get a nice friendly looking elf? and is the book worth getting? Thanks for any help. x

Where I live, I usually see the elf and the book sold together as a set. They are usually found in bookstores. I got the girl as well because she is much cuter, less creepy-looking than the guy :haha:

Following. I am thinking we may do Elf on the shelf this year :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->