Elliot Harry Webb 03/01/2009 **photos now added**

naiyasg

Mum to a Little Boy
Reaction score
Elliot’s Birth Story

January 1st

I was now a day over due, very fed up and very miserable. Baby had a very quiet day movement wise and I definitely hadn’t felt the 10 movements I should have done, so we called the Assessment unit and they advised us to go up and have him monitored for a bit. So off we trundled to the hospital and they hooked me up to the monitors and left me for about an hr and half. In this time his heartbeat was fine, and I was getting very occasional Braxton Hicks but baby was still not moving much. The midwife decided she would like a Dr’s opinion, so went to get a Dr. The Dr advised that we would either be looking at more monitoring or looking at inducement due to the reduced foetal movements but needed to go and talk to his consultant first. Me and my OH were pretty certain they would just plan to monitor us, but the Dr came back and advised he would be inducing me at 8am the following morning, and to go home and get some sleep. Me and my OH were shell shocked to say the least.

January 2nd

We arrived at the hospital at 8am, all set and ready to go – although very scared about what the day would hold for us! They left me on a monitor again for an hr to monitor baby’s heartbeat at which point they came back and advised they would now be doing an internal and we would then have too options. If my cervix was favourable and open she would break my waters, if not then I would have a dose of Prositin and re-examined 6hrs later. This midwife did the roughest internal ever and it was absolutely agony, she ended up having to pull my cervix forward as it was so far back, it was open but still not favourable so Prositin tablet it was. I was given the tablet at 11am and left on the monitor for another hr to make sure baby reacted ok to the tablet. All was fine so I was allowed free roam of the hospital and advised to come back to the Labour Ward closer to 5pm. 5pm then came and went, the Labour ward was now too busy for them to do anything with the 3 women (me included) that they were inducing, so at 10pm sent our partners home and advised they would be proceeding tomorrow morning.

January 3rd

I was monitored again at 7am for an hr and advised that Labour Ward was again too busy for them to do anything further as yet. The midwife said as soon as they had chance they would re-examine me and it would either be another Prositin or Break my waters, she was pretty certain it would be another Prositin job. I was re-examined about 10am and advised that they could now break my waters as my cervix was now more favourable – IF they weren’t too busy, so they would have to wait til it was quieter to do that. She gave me a sweep though in the hope it would start things off without their intervention. I was getting a fair few minor contractions at this point and was incredibly tired from the lack of the sleep the previous two nights. Trying to sleep on a labour ward is impossible with all the delivering ladies screaming. 3pm came round and they’d quietened down so they moved me to a delivery room and broke my waters at 2cm dilated. It was the strangest sensation ever! The contractions I had been getting suddenly stepped up a gear instantly, they attached the Syntocin drip in order to establish more and better contractions. By 5pm I was begging for pain relief as I was in agony and unable to move from the bed due to the drip, the midwife wasn’t sure pain relief was a good idea as she said ‘I had a long way to go yet’ But eventually she relented and gave me Pethidine, this was given at about 5:30pm. Everything gets bit hazy from that point on wards and my OH has had to fill me in on the details. I slept in between intense contractions, and ended up begging for an Epidural as I just couldn’t cope with the pain, the midwife had the same response about me having ages left. The Toco wasn’t picking up my contractions properly so she decided to re-examine me before getting the anaesthetist. She was then in shock I was fully dilated so no time for an Epidural! I was given the Gas and Air and told to push when I had the urge to. They started to lose baby’s heartbeat and told me I had to get this baby out and fast. After I’d delivered Elliot’s head it was discovered he had his cord trapped round his neck and very tightly, they had to cut the cord before he was even delivered. At 1934 he finally put a whole appearance into the world and was placed on my chest. I was in sheer shock, I had gone from being 2cm’s dilated to delivering in 4hrs 34minutes. My OH was in floods of tears and is utterly besotted with little Elliot who was 6lbs 5.5oz but was a little shortie so nothing actually fits him except a few tiny baby clothes which supposedly only go up to 5lbs! I ended up with a small first degree tear, but not enough to require stitches and was home less than 24hrs later! All in all the pain of labour is 100% forgettable the second you have your baby in your arms!!

**photos to follow**

Pictures of Elliot

Attachments

• DSC_0393.jpg
    DSC_0393.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0337.jpg
    DSC_0337.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0368.jpg
    DSC_0368.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 57