Emily Grace Marsden 17/11/08 (Very Traumatic! and very long)

Laura86

Reaction score
Hello,

As some of you know i used to be a member under the name LauraAlicia but could no longer access the site after i left work for my maternity leave.

Anyway...Emily was due on 24/11/08 and on Thursday 13th i started to have contractions that were painful so went to labour ward and they later confirmed i was 1.5cm - 2cm dilated, they sent me home.

I had been losing my plug for days and at 10pm that night (whilst on the toilet!) my waters went. I rang labour and told them that i thought my waters had gone as there had been a gush while i was on the toilet and they told me if they were still leaking an hour later to come in. There was no more leaking after this so i didn't.

I was having contractions on and off all weekend and just after we had finished the nursery on Sunday 16th they started to get a lot stronger. OH went to work as he was doing nights at the time and i had a warm bath and tried to get some sleep. I never managed to sleep and the contractions were so painful i was pacing around the house and crying and the dog was even worried!

I ended up kneeling in the dog bed against the couch as that was the comfiest place to be. I rang labour ward twice and they just told me to take paracetamol and have a bath, which i tried but i could not cope in the bath and thought i was going to drown because the contractions were so bad! needless to say my much wanted water birth was out of the question! :rofl:

I gave up in the end after coping with these painful contractions (which i was not 100% certain at the time they were real as i had it in my head they were braxton hicks!) I had been on my own for 7hours and was exhausted, could not time them as i kept forgetting because of the pain and did not want to make OH come home if they werent real so i rang my mum.

My mum came at around 3.30am and was planning on having a shower, straightening her hair and doing her make up before we went to the hospital and as soon as she got there i was having a contraction, she went to do us a cup of tea and then i was having another one! she told me we needed to go to the hospital now and rang OH and told him to come straight home.

We went to the hospital and because i was coping very well with the contractions the midwife said she thought i would be 3-4cm dilated so was taking her time and when she checked me i was 7cm and she was shocked! they monitored LO heartbeat and eventually gave me gas and air and a diamorphine jab...these took away most of the pain. i was watching Jeremy Kyle whilst having the contractions :rofl: and got to 10cm by about 12pm ish and the midwife advised me to wait before i started to push to let the baby do some of the work in coming down! it was so hard to restrain :hissy:

I started to push and an hour had passed and i was so exhausted i had pushed 3 times during each contraction and they could see the crown of baby's head but she just wasn't coming, so the midwife and consultant decidied to take me to theatre to try forceps and ventouse and C section was even mentioned)

Anyway when in theatre they gave me an epidural and some kind and anaesthetic but i was still awake and they were tryng to get Emily out with the ventouse and forceps they got her head out and then it all started to go horribly wrong, they could not get her shoulders and the rest of her body out because she got stuck, there were lots of shouting and loads of people piled into the room and they were pressing on my stomach, lifting my legs right back and there was lots of tugging. The doctor in the end stuck her arm up and dragged emily out by her arm as she had stopped breathing. If she had not been dragged out when she was she could have suffered brain damage or even suffocated. :cry:

They were madly trying to resuscitate her and the doctor told somebody else they had broken her arm (we didnt even get told how she was, whether she was a boy or girl or anything!) I was crying my eyes out because i thought i was going to lose my baby :cry:

They got her breathing and the paediatrician did some tests and they whipped her away for xray with OH (i hadnt even had a glimpse of her)

They stiched me back up as i had a 3 degree tear and i did not see my baby for nearly 2 hours :cry:

I went onto the ward as she was already there and had a little cuddle and tried to breastfeed but her arm was in too much pain from the positions so had to give her SMA.

It was about this time that we noticed not only was her right arm broke but she had no movement at all in her left arm. because she had got stuck due to shoulder dystocia her nerves in her left arm had been damaged which is why there was no movement and that is when we discovered she had erbs palsy. (this was not confirmed until 2 weeks later)

Anyway we had to stay in for 48 hours due to the risk of infection as my waters had gone on the Thursday and they took emily from me and put her on NNU because she had to have calpol every 3 hrs and the nurses on maternity (couldn't handle giving a baby calpol) WTF??? :hissy:

They promised i could have her back with me the next morning but lied as she didnt come back to the ward with me until i took her home.

I was never shown how to breastfeed properly, how to bath her NOTHING! so went home absolutely clueless, upset, stressed and angry at the lack of help/ advice that the hospital gave me, with my baby that i was frightened to cuddle because i did not want to hurt her or cause her any more harm.

I was told any further pregnancies would be delieved by C section at 38 weeks becuase of what happened with Emily.

I will NEVER have any more babies at the hospital where Emily was born, i do not trust them, was treated very badly, not supported and felt isolated.

I managed to muddle through on my own at home and established breastfeeding for 6 weeks but she was so hungry i stopped breastfeeding and FF her instead.

I have been to so many appointments for her erbs palsy and even now she has limited use to her arm so she is behind with her milestones, she was due to have surgery last week at Alder Hey in Liverpool but the consultant thought she had improved quite a lot so wanted to leave it for 6 months to see how she gets on and her right arm which is broken is now fine and has healed.

Emily was born 17/11/08 and weighed 8lb 12oz. She is so beautiful and even though i had a traumatic birth would not change it for the world! :cloud9:

She is such a happy baby has slept through from 10pm to 8 am every night since she was 6 weeks old and is always smiling and babbling away to herself! :cloud9:

Will update with pics as soon as i figure out how...sorry it was long!

awwwwwww what a traumatic experience for you!

Glad it all worked out well in the end.....:hugs:

Congrats on your little girl:cloud9:

congrats! :shock: at the hospital tho!!! Glad you and LO are ok!!

:hugs:

:shock: wow, sorry you had a rough time hun

congratulations :)

:hugs: how traumatic!! glad all is ok now though - well done on the delivery and congrats on your little girl x

Oh bless, what an awful time for both of you :hugs:

Congratulations hun, she is lovely as I take it that is her in your avatar!

Good luck with further improvements, sounds like she is doing great! :hugs: x

Sorry you had a tough time hun!! Hope you and Emily are doing well xxx

Sorry you had such a traumatic time hun but glad she got her as safe as possible in the end. Congratulations x

wow what a traumatic birth! Glad she is doing well now. Congratulations :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->