Energy drinks in pregnancy, your opinions?

maybaby2018

Reaction score
I was just curious of what your opinions are to drinking the odd can of relentless/monster/redbull etc? I haven't done it personally, but I have seen a few pregnant ladies drinking them, and a few posts on other forums about having energy drinks now and then? What are your views? I'm personally a no go, I'm not sure I'd want to risk it, although some days I could deffo do with one!!

Absolutely wouldn't. I don't drink them when I'm not pregnant so def wouldn't otherwise. They are just sugar and caffeine and absolutely awful for you! The only time I have anything like that is if I'm ill and can't eat or drink I might have some lucozade but otherwise I avoid x

I drank xs energy drinks. All vitamin Bs for energy and I chose the caffeine free version. I discussed it with my doctor and they were ok because there was no caffeine but I was only allowed one a day.

I had the occasional one once out of first tri. There's less caffeine in a red bull than a cup of coffee and I don't drink coffee.

I drink redbull and energy drinks if i crave them but as long as you limit it i think its fine and obviusly if your body is used to drinking them before being pregnant it isnt a change for your body xx

I honestly think they aren't a good idea in pregnancy. I'm guilty of having too many cups of tea but the amount of caffeine and additives and crap in them puts me off. One of my friends was hospitalised for drinking too many of them on a long term basis. Crazy.

I don't drink energy drinks when not pregnant, so not definitely not. Though assuming the caffeine content is no different than a cup of coffee and you've researched where the caffeine comes from (I would probably avoid weird synthetic additives or other natural forms of caffeine if you don't know the source is safe in pregnancy) and you're not overdoing it on the sugar content, then it's probably fine to have on the rare occasion. I have a cup of coffee sometimes 2 every day and have through all my pregnancies, but I don't down it in one (usually actually I sip it over about 3 hours). Coffee is a pretty safe source of caffeine in pregnancy. And I don't sweeten it. I'm comfortable with that. If energy drinks were no different, then I imagine it's probably fine (if you could stomach it!), but I would read the labels carefully first.

I wouldn’t touch them for sure. Full of chemicals and horrible stuff - I’d actually go as far as saying I think they’re as bad as booze.

I admit that I've been having to drink caffeinated pop or tea regularly during this pregnancy, just like I had to in my last pregnancy to keep migraines away. However I don't think I'd risk drinking a full energy drink. Maybe half would be ok once a month or something but definitely wouldn't do the entire can. Way too much caffeine and sugar.

I would stay away from energy drinks as it's not just caffeine that they contain that may effect your pregnancy. Some brands also have guarana and ginseng, etc, things that are not recommended during pregnancy. They are also really high in sugar.

A couple of cups of unsweetened coffee or tea every day are a much better bet if you need a little caffeine boost. I have had 1-2 cups of coffee/tea every day throughout all 3 pregnancies and my kids are absolutely fine. It's the additives in energy drinks that make them more dangerous than a cup of coffee.

I need to have caffeine every day for TERRIBLE headaches. Today I had tea, some days I have Diet Coke, and I often have to take Tylenol/Paracetomol. :/ But otherwise I really suffer and Doctor said it was okay.

However, my last OB appt I was saying my headaches were getting worse and he suggested an energy drink when needed for headache that won't go away! He said they actually have lower sugar (if you pick the right brand) than soda and he thinks sugar is better than Diet Coke :)wacko: I love Diet Coke) plus he thinks the caffeine boost mixed with the added B Vitamins and Taurine can help the headaches?!?!

I have not tried one yet as I'm wary enough. I limit myself to two caffeine drinks a day to stay under the 200 mg limit. I do notice baby kicks me more when I have the caffeine and I feel guilty but it's either that or daily headaches.... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->