engorged after 3 days? just had lo and need relief!

KLMenke

Reaction score
Hey ladies, I just had lo on Tuesday 4/29, and am already engorged on both breasts. Lo is feeding as usual, except didn't feed much over night last night so I think it may have caused this to happen. Im going to try waking her every 3 hrs to feed. Ive already tried cold compress, and hand expressing the milk since my pump isnt sanitized yet (didnt think this would ever be an issue :/). Any advice for a ftm?

Congratulations on your sweet arrival :D

You really have been doing all you can so far.

When I was engorged, I really loved a hot shower. If the water hitting your breasts feels too intense, you can cup the water in your hands and let it gently run over them or wet a wash cloth with the warm water and let them lay on your breasts.

I also felt relief by expressing a TINY bit when LO was asleep and I needed relief. You can find youtube videos on how to hand express. Don't overdo the hand expressing because it may signal to your body to make MORE milk - which will obviously perpetuate your problem :)

You can definitely try waking your LO to nurse. I woke my LO for the first month because of engorgement, lol. If your baby has a hard time waking for nursing sessions you can try a cool cloth on her forehead or feet, tickling her belly, tickling her feet...you get the idea :) (oh my I really am missing those days right now...baby fever!)

You may read online to use cabbage leaves on your breasts. DO NOT do this if you want to continue breastfeeding. Cabbage leaves will most definitely help you to DRY up. Use with caution.

Keep up with what you're doing. Your breasts/body need more than a few days (I personally needed a few weeks!) for my supply to level out and my engorgement to ease up.

Your milk has just come in, its normal to feel like this. Hand express just enough to relieve pressure. Your body will regulate soon. :)

Wake baby more often to feed to relieve pressure, and maybe hand express the worst off in the shower. I would strongly advise against expressing more than the barest minimum at this point, as you don't want to end up with a massive oversupply. You also want the milk in your baby, not the fridge! Just keep feeding frequently and things will settle down :)

Thanks ladies, I'm already feeling relief! :) hopefully my body is starting to regulate how much it needs to produce!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->