Epidural or spinal block?

HLx

Mummy to Layla, George & Enzo <3
Reaction score
Hi ladies!

Currently expecting my 3rd baby and I've never had either. For this birth I want one due to problems with placenta in my last birth and likely to happen again, I'd like to be pain free.

Spinal- ladies who had a spinal, how long did they last for you? Whens the best time during labour to have it? Did you feel anything during pushing? And did it last for long afterwards?

Epidural? Did it hurt more having put in? As its milder than a spinal did you feel much when pushing? How do they remove the catheter? Did that hurt?

Any info you can give me regarding these two, I'd be grateful, or anything else I've missed you'd like to share with me x

I had a spinal with my 1st as needed help as my daughter was stuck, I literally had it at 10 cm when in theatre, I was numb for about 6 hours after, could be slightly longer was 11 years ago, didn't hurt when they removed the catheter, I was stood up and within seconds it's out x

I had a spinal with my 1st as needed help as my daughter was stuck, I literally had it at 10 cm when in theatre, I was numb for about 6 hours after, could be slightly longer was 11 years ago, didn't hurt when they removed the catheter, I was stood up and within seconds it's out x

Thanks hun! Was is a spinal you had or an epidural? Because from what I've researched epidural they leave the catheter in and administer as and when needed, a spinal is a one time shot in the back without catheter and that's that, it doesn't last as long as an epidural, but its stronger. I have heard of some situations where an epidural is administered but with spinal dose and effect, but this isn't commonly used these days. As you had to go to theatre quickly and it was 11 years ago maybe that's what you had?

Thanks hun! Was is a spinal you had or an epidural? Because from what I've researched epidural they leave the catheter in and administer as and when needed, a spinal is a one time shot in the back without catheter and that's that, it doesn't last as long as an epidural, but its stronger. I have heard of some situations where an epidural is administered but with spinal dose and effect, but this isn't commonly used these days. As you had to go to theatre quickly and it was 11 years ago maybe that's what you had?

It was a spinal hun x

They did my epidural during a contraction so I didnt feel it. You dont feel it coming out because you're numb. Out of 3 times, it wore off 1x with DS and they immediately fixed it.

I had an epidural with daughter. They put it in when I got to 5 cm. It didn't hurt going in that I remember. I could feel pressure and knew when to push. It wore off quickly and I was up and about when I got to my room. I can't recall them pulling it out so must have been uneventful. One advantage for me was that once it was put in, my body relaxed and I went from 5cm to 10cm in an hour. It had taken me 13 hours to get to 5. I've read for some it slows labor down, but for me it was the opposite.

Thanks for the advice girls! I'd be more than happy just going with the flow by due to my previous problem in my last birth has got me a bit scared. This is my final pregnancy and I deserve at least one pain free labour and birth lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->