Evening routine for 2 co-sleeping children?

EcoMama

Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice :)

My 5yr old and my 1yr old both bed share with me. We are happy with this arrangement and don't wish to change it.

Atm, our routine is: At 7 I get 1yr old dressed for bed, my 5yr old brushes teeth, gets dressed for bed and we all get in to bed for stories, I usually feed 1yr old. After stories my 5yr old is left in bed to go to sleep (around half 7). I take 1yr old down stairs and she then feeds on/off until my bedtime at 10pm..... She then has one last feed to sleep in bed.

I would like to keep my 1yr old upstairs from half 6ish, feed in a dark room and leave to sleep on the bed, then my 5yr old would join her at half 7, eventually followed by me at 10.... My 5yr old would also like this arrangement as he hates going to bed before his younger sister.

Problem is, my OH works away so I'm on my own for bedtime. I tried this evening to feed 1yr old in dark bedroom at half 6, leaving my 5yr old downstairs watching telly, but he kept coming upstairs for attention (which is fair enough), my 1yr old wouldn't settle because of this and we ended up all in bed at half 6, all falling to sleep together, then my 1yr old waking at 8, so her & I are now downstairs. She's currently sleeping on the sofa next to me!

Sorry for long post, but can people please share their evening routines with me xxx

I would just like my evenings back, and not have 1yr old attached to me! Sometimes she's wide awake between 8-10, I can't get stuff done as she's also whingy at this time :/

What worked for us in the past, was a futon at the foot of my bed. I'd let one be in my bed, going to sleep (the older one), and I'd lay and nurse the younger one to sleep in the futon. Obviously, you could let the older one sleep in the futon, and get the little one to sleep in your bed :) we used the futon as a transition to their own room/beds at about 5 or 6 years old.
Now, we don't have room for a futon near our bed, so I will be placing a twin sized mattress on the floor, right next to my side. I'll lay in it with my LO and get her to sleep, then sneak off without worrying she may fall out or something (now that she's so mobile). I mostly need it for naps, so I can get stuff done, and early evening, since she goes to sleep at 7:30. When I come up at 10 or so, I'll bring her to my bed and dream feed her back to sleep.

thanks wishfor x

so do both yours go to bed at same timr?... I was thinking it'd be easier to put younger to bed at half 6 (me feeding her to sleep for half hr), then putting older to bed at half 7 (he's pretty easy!) But it's not working so will give your way, puttig them both down together a go.

I've recently bought a cotbed from charity shop and put it in my room, I can fit in to ot with youngest so will try feeding her to sleep in that! whilst eldest is falling to sleep too. thanks x

Yeah, we've pretty much always put all the kids to bed at the same time.
It's so hubby & I can have some time together!

I have this problem too, my DH has evening classes so I have to put my one year old and 4.5 year old to bed at the same time.

Best method for me so far is to give the baby a later nap so she can last until 8pm. Once everyone is ready and in the big bed, I breastfeed her while reading him a story (an exploit in itself!) Or distract her with books, Then bf her to sleep, then turn around and snuggle with my son.

He is still very jealous and will NOT sleep until shes asleep and I give him a few hugs! Then he's out like a light. Not ideal but it sort of works.

He's always been very hard to get to sleep and fights it constantly. Apparently I was the same; payback time my mom says!:lol:

The other option I've tried:
- bf baby first, then read story to my son
- get son to lie down in his own bed with books and small lamp on
-put baby in carrier and walk around until she falls asleep in it. At least that way he hears we walking around and so doesn't keep running into the room with 'is she asleep NOW?!' Grrr.
-carefully lay her down in my bed or her bassinette
-go give my son his snuggles. Half the time he's already asleep! But sometimes he whines that it's taking too long.

Honestly I haven't found the perfect routine, my daughter's sleep is a bit unpredictable (she's between 1 or 2 naps a day)

thanks wish4, and vermeil.

i'm at inlaws atm so had lots of helping hands :) but oh goes back to work after boxing day so will try to put them both down together then, my 5yr old sleeps in our bed when oh is away so it should be easier as there'll be no bed swapping!

it is really hard to breastfeed and read a story! eldest complains he can't see half the time, and youngest like to feed and grab the book at same time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->