exasperated trying to teach my 5 year old

alibaba24

Reaction score
to check for cars don't get me wrong she doesnt bolt or anything but EVERY SINGLE TIME we are at the roadside I have to say to her look for cars or she would just walk right out. sometimes i insist she physically look properly and she just darts her head side to side not even looking.

honestly i don't know how to get it through to her. she was a language disorder so hitting her with massive explanations is not going to be helpful . she understands that a car could "squash her" in her words but obviously doesnt understand the consequences of that

any tips?

I guess it's just persistence and maybe try a book or something? My daughter loves books so I normally look for a book for things like this. It will help her visualize the consequences of not looking both ways without traumatizing her. You don't want her to be scared of roads or anything.

My 4 year old needs reminding 9 times out of 10 so you're not alone.

I would insist on hand holding until she gets it. You have another DD too right? Just tell her that everyone holds hands with mommy when in a parking lot or crossing the street. My DD doesn't bolt, but she always holds my hand when we are near cars. I don't trust the other drivers.

I do. sometimes depending on what road it is its really tricky to steer the buggy with one hand and hold her hand too. several times when i am collecting my nephews from school (6 &8) they will also go to step right out without looking i find it so stressful as I expect them to be setting a better example. quite often she will hold onto the buggy but she gets annoyed with that too. I just feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest particularly on this school run as there is cars coming from every direction and 2 huge coaches picking up kids too.

Children don't actually get a proper road awareness until they are 7 or 8 so your DD isn't unusual. Obviously before then they can understand that you have to look etc but they don't start being able to judge the speed of cars/notice bikes as well as cars etc until 7/8 (which is why your nephews are still as bad as they are).

I would insist that she holds into the buggy when you cross the roads. I do this with DD. We've sometimes spent 5+ minutes at the side of the road waiting for her to hold onto whatever it is that I was her to (my hand, brothers hand, bike handle etc.)

I think its something that just takes a lot of repetition and eventually she'll get it. Maria will check properly now pretty much every time.

On the walk to school I will ask my 5 yr old as we come up to the road to check for me if there is anything coming, he is not allowed to cross but will say yes or no. If no them I will say shal we cross and we go x

dont get me wrong she is always within a foot of me and when we are approaching a road i ask her to stay right at my side which she does. today we made a small breakthrough. we stopped as i saw a car coming from the distance we had plenty time to cross but we waited so i asked her if any cars were coming. she said yes and pointed to the car. once the road was clear i asked if there was anymore cars and she said no and we crossed. baby steps I guess

I think its pretty common still at that age. Frustrating, but still a common problem at that age. They just don't really make the connection on the danger and need to check, so you just have to keep repeating it constantly. It'll sink in eventually. DS1 is almost 5, and the past couple months he seems to actually be starting to "get it", and checks most of the time now. I still have to remind him here and there, but its sooo much better than last summer.

I'm sure I read somewhere that kids don't have the peripheral perception to properly check for cars until they are about 9 yo. They can make the motions, but who knows if they are picking it all up. I just make sure they stop at the street and don't cross until I say it's ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->