Exclusively BFing and milk supply decreasing

MommyGrim

Reaction score
My twins were born 11 days ago and were 6 weeks premature. They just came home yesterday from the NICU and since they weren't strong enough to go to breast right away or for longer than a few minutes I've been exclusively pumping since they were born and after my milk came in I was getting around 8-10 oz per pumping. Between the twins they eat about 3-4 oz per feeding and while they were hospitalized I fell slightly behind on pumping, mostly running errands etc. Anyways, now that we're home I've noticed my supply has decreased greatly (now only getting 2-3 oz). I didn't miss THAT many pumpings while they were in the hospital, most of them were night pumpings which the LC said would be ok to miss a few. We have no more left of our milk stockpile and I can barely keep up with them =\ What can I do??

As hard and time consuming as it may be to do with twins and taking care of them, etc... pumping more often will naturally boost your supply. If you skip "feedings", your milk WILL adjust to compensate for it, at least this early in the game. Your milk supply isn't really stable until around 6 weeks post partum. So you can try adding a pumping session. Also, keep pumping about 5-10 minutes after your breasts are "empty". This will tell your system that more milk is being requested, and it will signal your body to make more. Hopefully after a few days of this, you'll notice a higher output when you pump.

If you want a more immediate noticeable boost, you can try taking Fenugreek or drinking "mother's milk" tea. I took fenugreek, and it worked great for me.

One other thing - hydration makes a big difference! Drink lots and lots of water. Every time you pump, drink a glass of water (or more, if you can handle it).

Hang in there! The first month or two is the hardest part... it gets easier and easier after that! :flower:

Thanks! My daughter took to the breast right away so this is all new for me! I had no idea to keep pumping after they're empty! Thank you!

I second the above, and very importantly, don't skimp on night feeds, prolactin levels are at their highest at night so it is very beneficial to your milk supply to be pumping overnight. I'm amazed a LC told you not to worry about night pumping!

Definitely add pumping sessions if you can, especially at night. Supply is really sensitive before 12 weeks so you will definitely be able to increase it again if you empty your breasts often enough. Also make sure you are really emptying well and pumping past empty. Compressions help, and you could try hand expressing after pumping if that works well for you. Search for a video made by the Stanford hospital called "hands-on pumping" or similar.

Good luck. They are lucky to be getting your milk. It can't be easy pumping plus taking care of three little ones!

Thanks ladies! OH has been home to help since we got out of the hospital and honestly I don't think I could have coped with the twins, a toddler, and establishing my supply without his help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->