Exercise and Pregnancy

karen79

Reaction score
Can I still exercise whilst pregnant? I have heard conflicting information on this and despite the fact that I have been using a cross trainer for the last few years (at home) and consider myself quite fit, I am reluctant to do anything that may be dangerous. I just want to use the cross trainer for fitness. Not interested in lifting weights or anything like that. I just want to maintain my fitness and not get totally out of shape. BTW I am in my first trimester.

You are probably getting conflicting information because a lot of it depends on your fitness level pre-pregnancy. Doctors don't want you to go out and start a new fitness routine now that you are pregnant. Personally the doctors told me no weights, just lighter exercises, mostly she recommended walking. Also it's very important to keep your heart rate under 140, don't let yourself get to hot (the baby can't regulate his/her own temperature), and drink lots of fluid. If I were you I would go ahead and consult your doctor, especially in the first trimester before doing anything too physical, but I like to err on the side of caution.

Edit: PS :hi: Welcome to the forum

It's now recognized that pregnant women may continue to workout at the level that they were acclimated to before becoming pregnant. Cardiovascular exercise offer some of the best benefits for both you and your developing baby. Women who perform moderate level aerobic exercise during pregnancy grow bigger placentas, have stronger immune systems, shorter labours, and don't gain as much fat. Babies born to fit moms are leaner, have stronger cardioivascular systems, and even larger and more developed brains.

But women who were previously sedentary should not start a cardio program after 20 weeks. This is because the placenta stops growing at 20 weeks, and its' ability to trasnport oxygen and nutrients is set. But fitness walking for up to 30 minutes a day is OK for all pregnancy women.

Gentle exercise during pregnancy is a great way of releasing stress..keeping your blood pressure normal and it will give you a bit of an energy boost. Antenatal yoga is a great way to exercise lightly. Be careful of over doing it though...your ligaments are much softer during pregnancy due to the hormone relaxin....so take it nice and easy so you don't do yourself an injury.

Tracy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->