expecting, buying baby stuff, what do i need for BFing?

podders91

Reaction score
hello!

I'm from 2nd trimester forums, but i'm popping in to ask what you ladies have and recommend for BFing.

I plan to BF only, but i'm not yet sure whether i want to go bottle free, or combine breast and bottle, or just pump and bottle feed, so i'm after some advice.

what do you use and love, which way suits you best, and what did you buy that you've never used?

You don't need a whole lot to start... Really nothing except you and baby. I had lanolin and breast pads, a pump, a boppy, bottles, and some nursing bras. Many women swear by lanolin, but i've only used it a few times. It's a good idea to have it to try out and decide if you need/like it though. I have been leaking like crazy so i need the nursing pads; some women don't leak at all. I've been using disposables because i have thrush. :(. Once it's gone i'm gong to try reusable ones. I've heard that leaking usually eases up though. I have ended up mostly wearing sports bras. I think they're easier to nurse in than the nursing bras, but lots of women love nursing bras. I started pumping enough milk for one bottle a day at 3 weeks for dh to give. I have to go back to work at 12 weeks, so i wanted to make sure lo would take it, and also, because of the thrush i really need the break every so often. Plenty of women only feed from the breast though. I hate pumping and wouldn't do it so much if i didn't need to, but i did want to introduce the bottle in case of emergency. I thought the boppy pillow was kind of dumb and started out using regular pillows, but i've come to really like the boppy and use it all the time. It's not a necessity though. I think that's all it... A lot of what you need and don't need comes down to personal preference.

I LOVED our bobby pillow. It really helped in those early days...and I also used it to prop DS up as he got older :)

I also had Lanolin (I'm one of those women who swears by it), nursing tanks/bras, and breast pads...good lord I needed the breast pads in the beginning. I leaked everywhere.

I DID get a breastpump but personally did not ever use it but once - I stuck with breast only because that's what worked for us.

Like the other ladies have said, you don't need a huge amount until baby arrives. I wouldn't advise getting a pump until you know if you get on with BFing and whether you want to pump or not. I've got several friends who BF but can't get on with pumping, it takes them hours to get a couple of ounces.

You'll need some breast pads for when your milk comes in. I only used nipple cream a couple of times but I know some people swear by it.

You don't need to get bottles until baby arrives. BFing advisors and lactation consultants don't recommend introducing a bottle until BFing is established (normally 6wks) to prevent nipple confusion - that being said, DD took bottle and breast from the start and has never had any problem with nipple confusion.

I lived in nursing bras and nursing vests the first few months, but they're not a nessecity and they're not something I bought until after DD was born.

You don't need a whole lot to start... Really nothing except you and baby. I had lanolin and breast pads, a pump, a boppy, bottles, and some nursing bras. Many women swear by lanolin, but i've only used it a few times. It's a good idea to have it to try out and decide if you need/like it though. I have been leaking like crazy so i need the nursing pads; some women don't leak at all. I've been using disposables because i have thrush. :(. Once it's gone i'm gong to try reusable ones. I've heard that leaking usually eases up though. I have ended up mostly wearing sports bras. I think they're easier to nurse in than the nursing bras, but lots of women love nursing bras. I started pumping enough milk for one bottle a day at 3 weeks for dh to give. I have to go back to work at 12 weeks, so i wanted to make sure lo would take it, and also, because of the thrush i really need the break every so often. Plenty of women only feed from the breast though. I hate pumping and wouldn't do it so much if i didn't need to, but i did want to introduce the bottle in case of emergency. I thought the boppy pillow was kind of dumb and started out using regular pillows, but i've come to really like the boppy and use it all the time. It's not a necessity though. I think that's all it... A lot of what you need and don't need comes down to personal preference.

Like the other ladies have said, you don't need a huge amount until baby arrives. I wouldn't advise getting a pump until you know if you get on with BFing and whether you want to pump or not. I've got several friends who BF but can't get on with pumping, it takes them hours to get a couple of ounces.

You'll need some breast pads for when your milk comes in. I only used nipple cream a couple of times but I know some people swear by it.

You don't need to get bottles until baby arrives. BFing advisors and lactation consultants don't recommend introducing a bottle until BFing is established (normally 6wks) to prevent nipple confusion - that being said, DD took bottle and breast from the start and has never had any problem with nipple confusion.

I lived in nursing bras and nursing vests the first few months, but they're not a nessecity and they're not something I bought until after DD was born.

thanks ladies! some brill info :)
one thing is that i can't use lanolin since i'm allergic to wool, so will be looking for an alternative to that.
also although i won't be using the bottles straight away, i'll be buying them before baby is born in case i need/want to use them, since i'll be pretty much on rest after birth for a while :( as a baby, i was given pumped bottled milk in hospital for 3 days but was happy to go straight from the breast once i got home, so hopefully i'll pass on my unn-fussyness! but for the first couple of months i hope to feed straight from the breast anyway so shouldn't be an issue.

i've bought a couple of nursing bras which i've found more comfortable than sports (maybe due to having a larger chest and most sports bras feeling like they're crushing me!)
i was hoping to use reusable pads, but never thought of the possibility of thrush tbh. i'll get some disposables in too!

thanks all, very helpful :)

Get some comfy sleep bras too, I didn't even think about needing bras to sleep in but I got two from mothercare and they are so comfy!

Another item I would recommend would be Muslim cloths, they are multi use, I use them to wipe up any excess milk, to cover up a bit, as a kind of bib for lo, really handy :)

I LOVED our bobby pillow. It really helped in those early days...and I also used it to prop DS up as he got older :)

I also had Lanolin (I'm one of those women who swears by it), nursing tanks/bras, and breast pads...good lord I needed the breast pads in the beginning. I leaked everywhere.

I DID get a breastpump but personally did not ever use it but once - I stuck with breast only because that's what worked for us.

i'm pretty sure i'm going to need lots of breast pads because i've leaked a bit of clear fluid the last couple of mornings :wacko:

i'm getting a pump, just in case there is anything that means i can't feed directly from the breast.
we're expecting lots of obstacles during and after birth so i'm trying to prepare for all possibilities!

Get some comfy sleep bras too, I didn't even think about needing bras to sleep in but I got two from mothercare and they are so comfy!

Another item I would recommend would be Muslim cloths, they are multi use, I use them to wipe up any excess milk, to cover up a bit, as a kind of bib for lo, really handy :)

i've been thinking about those but i much prefer not having a bra on lol. are they as comfy as going without?

we've got plenty of muslins.. we bought 20 last time round which i still have, and my mum and nan have bought me 20 each! i'm definitely prepared there.. :dohh:

i've been thinking about those but i much prefer not having a bra on lol. are they as comfy as going without?

we've got plenty of muslins.. we bought 20 last time round which i still have, and my mum and nan have bought me 20 each! i'm definitely prepared there.. :dohh:

I tried sleeping without a bra at first but woke up to a bed soaked in breastmilk...now i wear a bra and pads 24/7. I just got a really loose bra from Motherhood that feels more like a tank than a bra.

I didn't bother wearing a bra until I went back to work when my wee man was about 6 months. When I was at home he was hanging off either boobie so it was pointless even trying to stuff my sore engorged anatomy into those unforgiving things.

I knew I was going to try and feed for as long as possible so I waited until my supply was established (8 weeks/2months) and invested in a good quality double pump (I chose the Medela Pump in Style - I think it's called - buy it off Amazon - the price can vary, but usually it's way cheaper than the shops). Yes - it's very pricy (usually retails for about £350 quid! - but I got it off Amazon for about £200), but I knew I could carry on BF'ing and producing milk - so I considered it an investment.

10 months in and I BF in the morning and at night and pump 2-3 times in the day at work. I usually bring home about 400-500ml of milk and I never pump for more than 10mins. The use of a double pump means I save time at work plus I trick my body into thinking I'm feeding twins.

I do realise that not everyone is as lucky as me to be able to produce so much, so be kind to yourself. But please - make sure your supply is established and that you know what your intentions are before investing heavily.

Good luck!

Like pp said you don't need much but here is my list!

I found lanolin to be great in the first few weeks when your nipples are sore but after that I stopped using it ( I got thrush and like farm mom I felt it made it worse).

I bought a pump but so far I have only used it twice so I wish I hadn't bothered. I found it such a faf stetilising it etc and then the actual time it took to pump seemed to out weigh the benefits so I just feed directly from the breast. Having said that I am off work for a full year so I have the luxury of being able to do that. If you are returning to work it may be necessary to pump.

As for nursing attire I found sleep/sports bras great, better than actual nursing bras as they are much comfier. Breast pads are a must, i use the disposable ones by Lansinoh as they are large and comfortable.

On a personal note re sleeping, I found wearing a bra with pads 24/7 was making my boobs sore and is possibly what caused me to get thrush ( constant warm, moist conditions!) so now I sleep braless but I put a muslin cloth or bed mat (the ones toddlers use when they wet the bed) on the sheet do that I don't leak on the bed and I have found it so much better!

Can't think of much else really but I hope that helps!

Lanisoh equivalent, I used that every feed until ooh months later, just cos i thought it would be better to avoid soreness.

breastpads, i leaked lots to start with.

night bras. I actually now use a padded tank thing from Asda, but if i hadn't worn something, my breasts were So sore (and leaky) when i woke. Re leaky i put a towel under me to start with.

nursing bras. I cannot imagine not having these! Admittedly i am currently 36E. The morning after baby arrived i had no bra on, and a v nice midwife said "you have nice breasts now but you won't if you don't wear a bra" ;-) much appreciated and honestly it really helped them hurt a lot less.

pump, handy for if you get mega engorged or mastitis or something and the baby is a bit older and can't keep up.

bobby pillow. I did not have one. I really wish i did as when i have used one it seems to keep the baby at a great level.

Lanisoh equivalent, I used that every feed until ooh months later, just cos i thought it would be better to avoid soreness.

breastpads, i leaked lots to start with.

night bras. I actually now use a padded tank thing from Asda, but if i hadn't worn something, my breasts were So sore (and leaky) when i woke. Re leaky i put a towel under me to start with.

nursing bras. I cannot imagine not having these! Admittedly i am currently 36E. The morning after baby arrived i had no bra on, and a v nice midwife said "you have nice breasts now but you won't if you don't wear a bra" ;-) much appreciated and honestly it really helped them hurt a lot less.

pump, handy for if you get mega engorged or mastitis or something and the baby is a bit older and can't keep up.

bobby pillow. I did not have one. I really wish i did as when i have used one it seems to keep the baby at a great level.

I was going to reply with these answers! Except I used mybrestfriend pillow which is my most useful item after baby was born.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->