Experience with gentian violet?

babybloo

Nora & Benny's Mommy
Reaction score
Hi. Nora and I went to the dr today. She has a yeast infection on her skin in her groin area as well as oral thrush. I have been experiencing awful breast pain, deep sharp stinging pain. Not really in my nipples but every where else. But never when LO is actually eating.

Anyway, the dr wasn't my usual dr. He recommended we try gentian violet which from what Ive read it seems it works well and quick. I'm wondering what others' experiences with this are? Also, will this help clear her genital area just by getting rid of the oral thrush? I'm trying so hard to keep everything clean and dry down there but it wont seem to go. I'm getting frustrated.

We went through this recently. For your nipples, you can mix gentian violet with apno, if you can get that in your area. If not, I've read that you can mix it with some lanolin. Make sure you're paying attention to the concentration of your gentian violet. You should be using a 1% solution-- in the US, it's sold as a 2% soln. You might want to take some ibuprofen for the pain, it doesn't always go away immediately-- sometimes it takes several days of treatment to be pain-free. For your baby, you can paint the gv on the inside of the mouth and simultaneously apply it to the affected diaper area. Mild cases can be treated orally and the diaper area thrush will disappear, but it sounds like your lo's diaper area isn't very mild. I think you can either paint it on directly or mix it into a diaper ointment. We mixed some with coconut oil and that worked well, but he didn't have anything noticeable on his diaper area, so what we did might not have done anything at all.
Funny fact: you can get gentian violet tampons on amazon to treat vaginal yeast infections.
Sorry you're going through this-- it sucks. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your response! The Dr I saw didn't really explain very well. Thanks again! Can't wait for some relief!

Jack Newman's website and this https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-CP have protocols. I think some doctors forget that gv doesn't usually come with directions for thrush treatment on the bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->