Experiences with healing after a natural birth?

mandaa1220

Reaction score
I posted this in labor and birth section, but found this spot too... hoping to get some help.

How long did it take you to feel normal down there after a vaginal birth?

I gave birth to my LO 5 days ago, completely natural, drug-free birth. The midwife said that I had only torn slightly and didn't need stitches, but then decided to give me a few last minute. Afterwards, I was obviously sore, but it was expected.

3 days ago, a day after we had gotten home, I started to have more significant pain down there. I took a peak and I SWEAR it looks like there is a piece that is torn almost in half. The pain was progressively getting worse, so I called and ended up at the hospital to have the midwife check everything yesterday. She said that everything looked like it was healing nicely, gave me a sitz bath to take home and use, as well as some numbing spray and stuff.

I know I sound crazy, but I feel like she missed seeing the part I'm talking about. I've never given birth before, so I don't know what to expect from recovery, but I don't feel like this is normal. I have difficulty sitting, sometimes walking, and I have this stinging pain in the spot where it looks like it's torn.

I'm looking to know from other women? My mom doesn't remember being in pain like that, but I just don't know.

I had a small episiotomy. Definitely didn't have any pain that got worse. By 3 or 4 days pp it still felt a bit numb and tender but not painful.

Ughhh something isn't right. I just know it. I feel like it needs to be looked at again, but they'll think I'm crazy if I call again.

I felt completely back after 3 weeks. During that time I felt some pressure when standing and some ashiness in my pelvis when walking. I only got one stitch and the area was sore when wiping or washing for a while.

I had a second degree tear and stitches. When I was first home from hospital I had fairly strong painkillers (possibly because of manual removal of placenta? No one actually told me) so at first there wasn't much pain. After I stopped taking then I felt quite sore and tender for probably up to 3 weeks. This may be tmi but the pain sometimes changed area so sometimes where I had the stitches was sore, sometimes my clit even ached! I think it was more of a tenderness then a pain. If you are worried definitely get a second opinion, if everything is ok it will at least reassure you

I had a second degree tear and stitches. When I was first home from hospital I had fairly strong painkillers (possibly because of manual removal of placenta? No one actually told me) so at first there wasn't much pain. After I stopped taking then I felt quite sore and tender for probably up to 3 weeks. This may be tmi but the pain sometimes changed area so sometimes where I had the stitches was sore, sometimes my clit even ached! I think it was more of a tenderness then a pain. If you are worried definitely get a second opinion, if everything is ok it will at least reassure you

Thanks! I'm going to try to wait it out until Wednesday, so they don't think I'm a lunatic. If I'm still experiencing the same pain by Wednesday, I'll call them to schedule another appointment.

After my first baby i had 1 internal stitch and a graze. I poured water down me for at least 10 days when peeing. My bits overal were very sore/tender/swollen for a good few weeks. Plenty of pressure and discomfort but nothing on high pain scale.

I think a lot of pain was through first time natural delivery. My 2nd i felt back normal within 5 days, just had my third on sat and despite few grazes i feel pretty back to normal already.

That doesn't sound normal. I had two natural births and felt pretty ok afterwards. Granted, I had no tearing and my babies were fairly small - under 6 lbs each time.

I'm 12 weeks on and still experiencing some minor pain. Though I had several 2° tears and a vulvar hematoma that had to be surgically removed a couple hours post delivery. At this point, I'm starting to think it's just going to be something I'll have to live with.

Ok I had a vacumn extractor birth with a third degree tear and manual placenta removal.

Ok not the same birth as you.

However I had allot of stiches, and they were the worst 7days after the birth I found it hard to stand and sit. I used to have two Epsom salt baths a day.
At 7days I went back to the doctor my stiches had gotten infected and were also bleeding making my bleeding allot heavier. I was in so much pain, I got antibiotics and a morphing injection (I had bad rectal bruising from placenta removal) you might have bad bruising with an infection in the stiches, go to your doctor and explain everything. Also pour teatree oil on a panty liner, freeze it and put it on top of your maternity pad it will help disinfect and relief.

Ok I had a vacumn extractor birth with a third degree tear and manual placenta removal.

Ok not the same birth as you.

However I had allot of stiches, and they were the worst 7days after the birth I found it hard to stand and sit. I used to have two Epsom salt baths a day.
At 7days I went back to the doctor my stiches had gotten infected and were also bleeding making my bleeding allot heavier. I was in so much pain, I got antibiotics and a morphing injection (I had bad rectal bruising from placenta removal) you might have bad bruising with an infection in the stiches, go to your doctor and explain everything. Also pour teatree oil on a panty liner, freeze it and put it on top of your maternity pad it will help disinfect and relief.

They have me doing the sitz bath, but you mentioned epsom salt baths... does that help?

You can get Epsom salts in your pharmacy, they are amazing. I used to buy 5kg bucket. I scooped two epson salt scoops in hot water. Let it settle for 5mins. Then gently kneel in it. The relief is aaaahhhhhhmmmazzzing. Also the frozen pantyliner with witch hazel is amazing. Also try arnica. Great for bruising and swelling.

You can get Epsom salts in your pharmacy, they are amazing. I used to buy 5kg bucket. I scooped two epson salt scoops in hot water. Let it settle for 5mins. Then gently kneel in it. The relief is aaaahhhhhhmmmazzzing. Also the frozen pantyliner with witch hazel is amazing. Also try arnica. Great for bruising and swelling.

Ohhh thanks! I might try the epsom salt!

I have witch hazel pads the hospital gave me to put on my pad, as well as ice packs. They suggested not to use the ice packs after 24 hours post birth though. I have used them a little since when I felt I wanted them.

I'm starting to feel a little better, but it's starting to sting when I pee again really bad. I'm hoping it's starting to heal.

I still can't believe my baby came from there! :shock:

I'm 5'1 and I was 120lb at birth he weighed 8'1lb. When the midwife came at 1week ppm she asked me was his mum resting. No woman that's my massive baby!! He had shoulders like a line backer!!!
He was an amazing baby and I have loved every stage.
Super love and hugs with your baby and enjoy every newborn second. And I send you healing vibes

This 'split' that you describe. Is that where you feel a sting when you pee the most?

I had a particular spot that if pee touched it I cried, and sometimes even bathing it was incredibly sore! I couldn't tell very well because of the swelling, but it was quite a darker pink and I did wonder whether it was something that needed stitches. I'm pretty sure that the spot was just a graze.. And it have that split look because it was pretty much just very raw looking!

So maybe it's a bad graze? I found my grazes (I had that one that stung a lot and a few smaller ones) hurt for a bit longer than my stitches did! But im at three weeks pp and it's been a good week where it's not stung to pee! Everything suddenly stopped being so swollen, the stitches look desolved and the grazes don't sting and seem to have nearly healed fully!

I would say if it still hurts in a few days then mention it again on your next appt. I felt much better by week two down there and that's wjth second degree tear, stitches and there was a stitch slightly higher near my pee hole somewhere and grazes.

I had stitches, and I struggled to walk for a good week. I managed, but I was slow and waddley! Sitting down was sore for I think about 2 weeks, probably more before I didn't feel I needed to sit on one cheek or the other to avoid the middle!

After I think about 3-4 weeks, it got unbearably itchy down there. Seriously bad! I used an aloe, witch hazel and lavender gel for a couple of days and that went.

I've felt 'tight' and a little bit bruised ever since and I think it's only really gone about 80% now.

I don't know whether it's normal or not, but that's my experience!

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->