Exposure to pertussis?

MEPride

Reaction score
I am a physiotherapist. While working with a patient today it was revealed that their child was diagnosed with pertussis and was placed on antibiotics. The rest of the family was placed on antibiotics as a precaution. By the time my patient saw me the patient had already completed the antibiotics but since I've been seeing this patient for over a month I'm worried about exposure despite my patient not displaying symptoms and my being previously vaccinated.

Should I be worried? I'll call my midwife tomorrow regardless, but wanted thoughts on the matter.

I guess I personally wouldn't feel worried but I tend not to get worried about those things because I'm a nurse and I feel I'm always around someone who is contagious with something. I think pertussis is most dangerous for young infants, it usually is rather mild for anyone else. If your patient didn't have any symptoms and wasn't actually the one with pertussis and you've been vaccinated, I think you don't have anything to worry about but it can't hurt to run it by your midwife to be sure.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure we're all exposed to TONS of diseases all the time without any knowledge, especially those of you who work with patients or customers. You've been exposed to worse during your pregnancy. :) And yes, even if you caught it, it would be long gone by the time your baby is born. It won't affect a fetus, but it can harm a newborn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->