• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Failed 1 hour Glucose Test

Mimzy3

Reaction score
I failed my 1 hour glucose test and have to go for the 3 hour one now. My levels were 138, anything over 130 needs to go. I am going to follow GD diet from now on because I want my baby to be healthy and obviously my body is not processing sugar the way it should. But as I'm researching it, its a lot of carbs and starchy foods! And it seems like a lot of food to be eating a day. Is this "diet' going to make me gain even more weight than I normally would in pregnancy?!

I already eat healthy, exercise 5 times a week, and have kept my weight gain down. 125lbs and i'm 5'5 just confused on how I have this?!?!?

Hi, Mimzy3. I too am a healthy weight and got GD with both my pregnancies. Apparently it doesn't actually have much to do with lifestyle choices and more to do with genetics. It really isn't so bad, but it does complicate the pregnancy a bit towards the end. I.e., extra growth scans at around 32 and 37 weeks, biophysical profiles, non-stress tests, and possibility of induction. It may sound daunting but it isn't really. And it all depends whether you are 100% diet controlled or if you require medication like glyburide or insulin. I had to have glyburide but as long as your fasting numbers are okay, they will probably just keep you diet controlled.
Okay, now the diet. The key is to balance your carbs and proteins. My specific allowance was 30 carbs for breakfast, 20 for snack, 45 for lunch, 15 for snack, 45 for dinner, and 15 for bedtime snack. You do want to make sure you're getting all the snacks because part of being diabetic means you don't process food quite right and eating small potions more often helps keep your blood sugar at a normal level. Make sure along with the carbohydrate portion of the snack you also have a boiled egg, handful of nuts, or a cheese stick; something with protein because protein helps your body break down glucose. Same with the meals. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

Thanks for sharing!!!!:flower:

Sounds terrible because I want to stay with my midwives who are less invasive and I would hate to be induced as I'm a believer in letting it all happen naturally. But obviously going to do what is best for my baby.

Now when you say carb allowance. Do you HAVE to eat these carbs? I'm not a big carb eater and all the diet plans I've seen online include a ton of carbs! I already eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast every morning and often have string cheese as a snack so the protein part will be easy for me. But I don't know how I'm going to eat all those carbs :wacko: What was some carbs you ate?

Well, I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you're able to be diet controlled, the intervention is pretty minimal I think. Your numbers sound quite low for GD anyway (mine at 14 weeks with this pregnancy was 175 at one hour and 134 at two hours). You don't have to eat ALL the carbs, in fact I go under the allowance a lot too, but it's healthy for the growth of your baby to eat some carbs. For instance, I'll have a piece of whole grain bread with a bit of peanut butter on it. Or a small bowl of cheerios with almond or soy milk (real milk makes my blood sugar crazy).

Try not to worry too much. Many woman fail the one hour test due to various reasons, and then go on to pass the three hour.

You absolutely do not to eat as many carbs as the ADA says! I'm appalled at how many they recommend. The baby doesn't need that many carbs as your liver produces as much glucose as you need. Follow the group typeonegrit on Facebook to learn more. They are a wealth of information for any kind of diabetes and there are quite a few pregnant type 1s on there. Eat meat, eggs, lots of non-starchy veggies, nuts, seeds and baby will get tons of nutrients. Limit fruit to just berries, don't eat grains, rice, oats, corn, cereal and refined sugar. Alldayidreamaboutfood.com has some amazing recipes for low carb treats, pancakes, anything really. You can follow her on Facebook too. Good luck!
https://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/guest-blog-post-is-it-safe-to-go-low-carb-during-pregnancy

I'm in the same boat! Failed my first test last week, 153 and I was supposed to be 140. My three hour test is Wednesday. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed as they asked me to follow a diet in the three days leading up to my test, but I don't feel like I know what I'm doing.

I feel like I pretty much should stick to eggs, meat and veggies until my appointment on Wednesday. This sort of thing stresses me out, would love suggestions on staple meals & snacks if you have them.

GL to everyone!

Www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com has tons of low carb recipes and snacks. My favorite breakfast is "faux"tmeal. They're are quite a few recipes for it out there if you google or Pinterest it. You can also make low carb pancakes with coconut flour. For lunch I'll wrap egg or tuna salad up in a big lettuce leaf so it's like I'm eating a sandwich. Dinner can be salmon with veggies, rotisserie chicken and veggies, cauliflower mash is easy to make if you have a food processor. I snack on nuts, seeds, peanut butter, cheese, guacamole, full fat Greek yogurt and kind bars. For dessert I eat either Lilly's chocolate or So Delicious ice cream with no added sugar. There is also a soda called honest fizz I can make root beer floats with.

When I had GD with my daughter, I thought the amount of carbs and sugar allowed was ridiculously high and argued with my midwife about it. I had much better results with my blood sugars when eating more fat and less carbs.

When I had GD with my daughter, I thought the amount of carbs and sugar allowed was ridiculously high and argued with my midwife about it. I had much better results with my blood sugars when eating more fat and less carbs.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought they were crazy. The ADA is a joke. They push 200 carbs a day so they can sell more drugs and insulin. It's big business. Do they not realize people have meters and have direct proof what those foods will do to them?? I always tell people to eat to their meter. It becomes very obvious what spikes you. *Cough cough* grains and sugar *cough cough* :)

I know! I've lost a lot of weight and finally have a (very) healthy HbA1C result now after doing low carb for 9 months. Never felt better.

I wouldn't freak out too much at this stage, since you haven't actually been diagnosed with GD yet.

I failed the one-hour test in both my pregnancies and passed the three-hour ones with flying colours.

I eat very healthily and my standard weight is 125 at 5'8". A failed one-hour test can be for loads of reasons, many of them nothing to do with GD.

I agree with the above also, I failed it with my son and did not have GD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->