Failed my 3 hour, now what?

newlywed2013

Reaction score
I failed my 3 hour glucose test, so I have Gestational Diabetes. It's 2 weeks before I can see the diabetic instructor, but I've been doing tons of research on the carb limits, etc. for GD. Should I just go ahead and switch over to the GD diet while I'mwaiting for my appointment?

Yes the earlier the better...surprised they are making you wait 2 weeks. The diet that my counselor put me on goes like this...

Breakfast - 25 carbs
Snack - 15 carbs
Lunch - 65 carbs
Snack - 25 carbs
Dinner - 65 carbs
Snack - 25 carbs

Try to wait until lunch and later to eat fruit...and have your last snack of the day late enough so that your taking your fasting glucose number like 10.5-11 hours after your night snack...of course it's probably different for everybody but I know if you wait too long before eating at night and breakfast...your number will be high.

When you eat carbs try to make sure they are whole grains, fruits, healthy stuff...always have a carb with a protein. Drink LOTS of water. It's not nearly as bad as you think it will be....it was great for me I hardly gained any weight since I started the diet and the baby has been growing but at a healthy rate. His size estimate a couple days ago at 38 weeks 2 days was 7 pounds even.

So far so good. It's hard turning down some of my favorites- like soda, starbucks, chocolate milk, french fries, LOL.

Glad to hear it's going well so far. I have to take my 3 hour test tomorrow. Hoping it will be okay but I think if I have GD it will be easy to manage, I will just need to cook more at home! I've been eating out way too often. Ice cream is my worst enemy! You can try to make replacement type things. Like for example, make a chocolate shake using a frozen banana, cocoa powder, milk/almond milk/coconut milk, and a little vanilla. It's not quite the same but if you haven't had much sugar or treats lately it can still satisfy your craving! :)

Question, do you have to eat all the carbs allotted to you? For example: My dinner was quite a serving of chicken and half a baked potato, but it only puts me at just over 20 carbs. Do I need to eat something else to make sure I'm getting the full amount of carbs, or can I just stick with the 20?

So far so good. It's hard turning down some of my favorites- like soda, starbucks, chocolate milk, french fries, LOL.

Oh being without starbucks has been the hardest. Honestly though after a few days on the diet I felt really good and it helps curb cravings. I have had a couple days...baby shower, birthday, trip to the beach where I indulged a little...and it's always hard the next couple days. Sugar really messes with your body.

Glad to hear it's going well so far. I have to take my 3 hour test tomorrow. Hoping it will be okay but I think if I have GD it will be easy to manage, I will just need to cook more at home! I've been eating out way too often. Ice cream is my worst enemy! You can try to make replacement type things. Like for example, make a chocolate shake using a frozen banana, cocoa powder, milk/almond milk/coconut milk, and a little vanilla. It's not quite the same but if you haven't had much sugar or treats lately it can still satisfy your craving! :)

Bananas spike my blood sugar, its the one fruit I had to cut out. Also milk has a lot of sugar in it. You can do an amazing smoothie with ice, dannon light and fit greek yogurt and some fresh strawberries and blueberries. Really refreshing and good for you. I have it as a snack not a meal...for meals I try to make sure I pack in the protein.

Question, do you have to eat all the carbs allotted to you? For example: My dinner was quite a serving of chicken and half a baked potato, but it only puts me at just over 20 carbs. Do I need to eat something else to make sure I'm getting the full amount of carbs, or can I just stick with the 20?

I don't think you have to...but you want to make sure you are not starving between your next meal. I think for the breakfast and snacks it's real easy to hit the carb limit but lunch and dinner for me is 65 grams...so you have to really eat. With the chicken and baked potato I would add some vegetables...or some fruit. Maybe a whole wheat roll for fiber. One thing to remember cause we are pregnant is it's not a "diet" as in keeping calories low...it's more a plan to regulate carb intake...so if you can fit in something nutritious go for it! Maybe add in a smoothie like what I mentioned above.

Well newlywed2013, I just got my 3 hour results back today and it looks like I'm joining the club :( I failed and I'm kinda shocked... I mean I know what I can do to eat better but it was kind of hard to hear the nurse say I failed when I totally pictured her saying everything was fine. I've always had low blood sugar problems, but maybe that's why, maybe my blood sugar drops really quickly or something? I have no idea. But maybe we can be GD friends. :)

Well newlywed2013, I just got my 3 hour results back today and it looks like I'm joining the club :( I failed and I'm kinda shocked... I mean I know what I can do to eat better but it was kind of hard to hear the nurse say I failed when I totally pictured her saying everything was fine. I've always had low blood sugar problems, but maybe that's why, maybe my blood sugar drops really quickly or something? I have no idea. But maybe we can be GD friends. :)

:hugs:

This was me in my first pregnancy. I was surprised I failed as well. I have always had issues with low blood sugar (e.g. lightheaded/faint if I don't eat regularly or first thing in the morning). I'm wondering if my body just doesn't process massive amounts of sugar (like they give us for the test) very well. My numbers were always fine, unless I ate something sugary on it's own.

I'm doing my 1 hour test for this pregnancy next Monday. I'm hoping I pass, but even if I pass now, I have to take another one at 28 weeks. I still have all my supplies, so I'll probably test myself every so often even if I do pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->