Failure - supply dried up PLEASE HELP

Squiggy

Rainbow Baby
Reaction score
Baby had latch-on problems and I had to use nipple shields the first 3weeks. I beat mastitis during that time. A few days ago I got him to transition to my breast but it was excruciatingly painful - someone suggested it might be thrush, my doctors appt is this coming Friday.
However, because it's less painful I've been expressing and getting between 2-3 ounces per session. I was still able to feed him directly from one breast in cases where he wasn't fully satisfied.
Tonight I woke up to pump and there's just nothing!!! How can this happen and what can I do?
PLEASE HELP ME. I feel like such a failure! Currently it's 4am here and there is no one I can call. Please tell me there's something I can do!

Are you pumping after every feed!? If not - start immediately!!

My supply seemed to slow down so I needed to start pumping after each feed - it's so tiring but you need to do it - like 6x per day until your supply is back - then you can pump 5x per day.

I did 6x. Per day for 3 days and my supply seemed to Come back so then I pumped 5x per day -
Started pumping after each feed at:
6am, 9am, 12, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm

See how That goes and good luck !!

Breastfeeding isn't easy

I was pumping every 3-4 hours because baby eats every 3-4. But all of a sudden I just stayed empty. Why would this happen?

You're empty even when LO nurses, or just the pump? When you put baby to breast, is there no swallowing at all?

I'd get doing all of the tricks asap - eating oatmeal and other galactogogues, drinking plenty of water (stay hydrated), pumping extra, lactation inducing supplements... you know, those and all the other tricks you find.

Some questions you might ask yourself/doctor - are there any underlying health conditions? There are several that might affect supply (like thyroid, for instance). Anyway, I'm in a rush and have to scootch, but best of luck to you. <3

I feel empty when baby is nursing and I don't always see any signs of milk. When I feel empty I notice baby is very fussy.

If one breast isn't sore, then feed him from that one exclusively till you've been checked for thrush. Pump from the painful one if you can (it can help to do it while LO feeds from the other side as his feeding stimulates the let down).

I know shields aren't recommended but if it stops the pain temporarily could you go back to them? Baby feeding stimulates milk so much better than pumping (where you can't tell if you are doing too much or too little and it never quite gets the thickest stuff out).

You're LO is the right age for growth spurts and I know during that time I never felt like my breasts were full - there wasn't enough time for them to get full as LO was latching on and pulling of screaming pretty much constantly!

Re: the pain

https://www.bestforbabes.org/its-thrush-or-is-it

So even if doctor says thrush, please get a lactation consultant's advice about the latch. I had a lot of pain (nipple pain/deep shooting pain/cold numb feelings/itching etc.) and was never treated for thrush because I didn't have it. Just bad latch!

Is this all the sudden? You pumped 2-3 oz, waited 3 hours and now nothing? If so I would check your pump, you won't dry up that quickly

Don't freak out too much - there are always options. Stress will make your let down not happen at all sometimes.

Bring baby to your breast OFTEN. As in, if you can manage it, keep your breasts naked and baby close. Whenever baby shows an interest, and even if baby doesn't, offer your breast.

Drink water.

Breathe deeply when baby is latched, look into your baby's eyes, smell your baby, think of your baby pulling milk from you, etc.

I would drink lots and lots of water.

Either pump more often on the painful side or use the shields again to feed if you can bare it.
If you can't bare it then keep your lo at your good breast as often as possible, he may fuss but keep putting him on & your supply will soon match up.

I have mastitis atm & without using shields bf would already be over!

x x

Yes, I was getting 2-3 ounces about every 3-4 hours, I was waiting for my breasts to feel full, otherwise I'd be pumping more often. My wish was/is to be able to get ahead of his schedule so that I can store some milk.

For some reason lying down/sleeping makes my breasts fill up. Why is this?

Baby is better at latching now but still has trouble. However, he fights when I try to go back to the shields. He much prefers a bottle. I know that it's better for both of us if he feeds directly from breast but that is still uncomfortable for him and more painful than pumping for me.

It may not be that your breasts aren't full. You just may not be feeling the sensation of full if that makes sense. Laying down might put pressure on your milk ducts therefore you're feeling a sensation of fullness. Some women don't fell "full" ever - I stopped feeling a fullness pretty quickly actually.

I'm so sorry you're in pain. There really is nothing worse in my opinion.

Again I stress the use of Lansinoh products. They work like magic for me. I hope they do the same for you.

Also if you are worried about your supply and how your LO won't nurse like you want to see, see a lactation consultant.

I'm thinking of you! You are not a failure! You are doing everything you can to make your nursing relationship thrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->