family issues

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
Another worry I have.....more of a rant really!

When my ds was a newborn and would root both my mum and sister would make comments about him looking to feed off them and my sister who was pregnant at the time and had chosen not to bf kept making comments about him smelling her milk. It really upset/annoyed me but not sure why.

Anyway I recently found out my mum has been referring to herself as nanny mummy in front of her grandchildren including my son and to be honest it made me cross. I ammummy and she is nanny, a grandparent. My son has lovely curls but his hair is too long and looks scruffy so I want to get it cut soon. My mum starts going on about how nanny doesn't want it cut etc.

Anyway.... despite being totally crap supporting me with bfing my son she now wants to be more supportive this time but I have to keep saying I'll ask if I need it as she is so imposing sometimes.

Plus I feel very private about bfing and want to establish bfing in private so I don't feel stared at. Both mum and sister just stared at my boobs with ds and it made me really self conscious.

Thing is I don't want to hear how my baby is rooting for them when they have cuddles and I don't want to be questioned over what I am doing.

My mum failed to mention when ds was a couple of days old that its natural to want to be on the breast all the time even though she bfd and instead recommended I give him formula to fill him up. I wish I'd known :'(

This time round I have at least 4 good friends who I met since ds was born who bfd and I can ask advice etc so I already feel more confident.

Pointless post I know I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Family can be a royal pain in the ass when it comes to babies. I would advise you to talk to a proffessional and go to a bf class as everyone has a different experience with bf and this way you will get more impartial facts and significant information. I found that the knowledge gained in these classes was invaluable when faced with other family members "advise". For example at 6/7 months my grandma said i should only be feeding him once a day :coffee:

My two both rooted around on everyone who held them too, I think it's natural for newborns to chance their luck with everyone lol. It stops when they get a bit older, so try not to get upset about that. If you feel self conscious when they are there esp in the early days, just ask them to give you some space, at least until Lo is latched on. It's important for you to feel relaxed and comfortable. Once you get it down you'll feel better about having others around. Try and let annoying comments go over your head, although I know how hard that can be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->