fast let down and.choking

smawfl

Mamma of 2!
Reaction score
I seem to have a fast let down.at the moment which means Ds chokes on pretty much every feed as he struggles with it

It was the same at this stage when i bf dd but she seemed to control it better.

Have tried lying back but it's not practical as my back hurts and I have parted stomach muscles from pregnancy so can't.really use that technique

Trying to feed him at the moment and he keeps falling asleep as the choking is tiring him out :(

Keep a muslin handy and let the let down spray into it. I have the same issue and found it much better when DD latched on after the let down as it was far too fast for her and she also choked/couldn't keep up. I've found it's starting to settle a bit now though!

I have the same and I do the same as the pp, I let her suck and once I can feel the let down I take her off although alot of time she's comes off herself as it's too powerful, let the milk spray out onto a muslin and once finished pit her back on. She gets grumpy waiting but stops the chocking

I have it the other way around my first baby couldn't handle the let down and refused to bf but my second child just gets on With it. She still chokes occasionally now at nearly 5 months but she goes straight back on!

I agree With other about letting the milk flow into cloth. Another option if it's stressing baby out is to pump until you let down then feed from that side. Good luck I know it's stressful x

That's a tough situation! How frustrating that laid back style is uncomfortable for you. I would say that you don't have to be fully laid back, or even half way, just a quarter of the way back might do the trick, and ensure you have enough cushions to support your back so that it isn't slouched.

As other have said, letting the forceful spray in to a cloth can be really useful.

As he grows he'll deal with it better and your supply will regulate too.:thumbup:

I also have a fast let down and my lo choked quite a bit early on when he couldn't handle the flow. We did laid back nursing and it has worked for us. I second what pp's have suggested. I just want to add that now my lo prefers the fast flow of my let down and gets frustrated when it slows lol. They learn to manage it as they get bigger.

I have this issue with my right breast. I keep a burp cloth on hand and use it for my first let down. I let DD take a few drinks until I notice she is starting to not be able to keep up. I then unlatch her and express some into the burp cloth. Re-latch and repeat if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->