Favorite Christmas recipe!

runnergrl

Mom to 2 boys and 1 angel
Reaction score
mine is at home, it's fudge and it is INCREDIBLE. Will post the recipe when I get home. I need some additional ideas though, whether its for a christmas-y drink or something sweet of salty, whatever. I bet this group of ladies can come up with a fabulous assortment of yummy treats!! Please post yours:)

In the meantime I love to mix baileys with peppermint snapps... oh so yummy!

3 pts Baileys
1pt pep. snapps

Mmmm....fudge sounds delicious!

Here's the recipe I use for gingerbread cake. It's excellent and the lemon sauce makes it ten times better! :cake:

Gingerbread cake

Ingredients:
• 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/2 cup melted butter
• 1 cup molasses
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk (1 teaspoon vinegar and enough milk to make 1/2 cup)
• 1/4 cup hot water

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Stir in melted butter, molasses, egg, and buttermilk or sour milk. Beat in hot water. Pour batter into a generously greased and floured 8-inch square pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.

Lemon Sauce

Ingredients:
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 5 teaspoons cornstarch
• Dash salt
• 1 1/2 cups boiling water
• 1 heaping tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon butter

Preparation:
In a saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add boiling water and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and clear. Stir in lemon zest, juice, and butter. Serve warm over gingerbread cake.

Oh my goodness you made my mouth water.. this sounds delicious!! I must go buy all the ingredients I lack! Thanks LOR!! you always come through....

have you POAS yet?? I wouldnt be able to wait!

Oh my goodness you made my mouth water.. this sounds delicious!! I must go buy all the ingredients I lack! Thanks LOR!! you always come through....

have you POAS yet?? I wouldnt be able to wait!

Nope, not yet. I was going to hold out until Friday but I'm thinking about buying a few tests this afternoon and doing one tomorrow morning (9 DPO). It may be too soon for anything to even show up but I'm starting to get a little impatient :haha:

LOR the cake sounds delicious I am so going to make it. Runnergirl please remember to post your fudge recipe it sounds yummy. I am a rubbish cook so i have no tried and tested yummy recipes, lots have been tried but they always end up as a disaster.

This is the hard part to abstain from POAS. Its tough to wait it out.

:blush: sorry i forgot to post when I got home last night. I have practice till 6, then met hubby for dinner and we ended up renting a movie and it completely slipped my mind. I will get that posted tonight..I hope:blush:

Ok I do have 2 recipes and its for tablet and shortbread....Tablet you might not have tasted. Its typically a sweet made in Scotland and basically its pure sugar. But its delicious, its hard to get right but once you have its yummy. It might be a little too sweet for your N American taste buds but would recommend it. Tablet is not particularly Christmassy but most people make it then because it can be quite hard to get right. The shortbread is used a lot at Christmas and New Year, and this recipe is actually Jamie Olivers recipe for shortbread. You might have to look in a speciality store like a British shop for the plain flour, I have never seen it here in Canada.

SHORTBREAD

9oz Unsalted Butter
4.5oz Caster Sugar
9oz Plain Flour
4.5oz Cornflour

Grease baking tray with the unsalted butter
Oven at 150 degrees C - so just change it for farenheit

Cream together the Butter and Caster Sugar using a wooden spoon
until Pale light and fluffy
Add flour and Cornflour and mix lightly with wooden spoon then use hand for one minute

Roll out onto flour surface about 1" thick
Use a glass for round shapes or cut into fingers
Place onto baking tray and cook for around 45 - 50 mins....until nice and pale brown..........**not any darker or will taste burnt**

When you remove from oven cover with caster sugar so that it sticks
When cool remove from tray and shake off exess sugar

EAT....Yumm

TABLET

Tin of Condenced Milk
Knob of Butter
Half a cup of full fat milk or single cream
2lbs Sugar

Add milk and butter to pan and stir on a low heat until melted together
Add sugar and tin of condensed milk
Stir on a low heat until a Toffee Brown Color

This takes around 40 minutes

You MUST stir ALL THE TIME or it will thicken and go all gooey

The trick is not to boil it.......just slightly simmer but stir constantly

Once it goes a lovely dark brown, transfer onto a non stick baking tray and let it cool

**once it has cooled slightly run a knife through it to make small aquares so that its easy to cut when cooled
You can add a few drops of Vanilla essence if you want to but make sure you dont use too much.

My auntie makes tablet for Christmas every year. Yummy! I've been looking for some christmas recipes. My mum isn't making a Christmas cake this year because no one likes it so I might have to try one of these.

Mint chocolate Brownies is one of my favorites...

Take a box of brownie mix (I recommend anything that has the words double, chocolate, and fudge on it) At chocolate mint candies, bake for about five minutes less than what it calls for so they are all gooey. Enjoy!

I have a couple of other recipes that I use, but alas, I'm not near my cook books.

oh the mint chocolate brownie one does sound nice i think i will give that a go too

Mint chocolate Brownies is one of my favorites...

Take a box of brownie mix (I recommend anything that has the words double, chocolate, and fudge on it) At chocolate mint candies, bake for about five minutes less than what it calls for so they are all gooey. Enjoy!

I have a couple of other recipes that I use, but alas, I'm not near my cook books.

oh i LOVE mint chocolate brownies!!! soooo good!!! def worth a try at making them. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->