Feeding and non intentionally co sleeping

Rodnabell

Reaction score
Hello ladies... Can anyone assist? I'm bf my second 4 week old baby only Keep falling asleep in bed with him (safely eg... Hubby in spare room, no alcohol or smoking etc). Now ordinarily I wouldn't mind but I did this with my first and he won't get out of our bed now so really wanting to avoid this trap...

Q1. How do you stop falling asleep when feeding?

Q2. Have you found baby is less likely to sleep independently if in with you to begin with?

Q3. At what point will co sleeping become a problem if I continue for a while?

Im curious to know the answers as wel...im sorry i do not have the n for you..but wanted you to know your not alone..i do it quite often...and oh how i enjoy it so much..im hopeing it doesnt mean he will get attached.

Me too! My little one starts off in his Moses basket but comes in after his first feed. I really don't want him getting used to sleeping in with me so I'm nipping it in the bid from tonight and he's going into his cot. I'm not looking forward to dragging myself out of bed to feed him though :( xxxx

I'm having the same issue lol

He sleeps so much better beside me and I'm getting loads of sleep too but our bed is so small that DH is having to sleep on the sofa bed and as soon as he starts rolling it won't be safe for him anymore as there's a big gap between the bed and the wall that he could fall down.

I've been trying to persevere getting him into his crib. I've tried all the tricks, hot water bottle and one of daddy's t-shirts in the crib, white noise etc. Last night he slept 4 hours in the bed with me and the rest of the night in his crib so he is getting there, it's just that when he's in the crib he doesn't stay there for much more than an hour at a time whereas in the bed he's sleeping 3-4 hours without waking.

How do they know?!? Glad I'm not alone! Sure the problem is more about me not being able to keep my eyes open and telling myself 'I'll just shut them for a minute' And then waking up 3 hrs later. I hope someone has the answer !!!

If you really want to not fall asleep, then feeding sitting up in a chair or something uncomfortable? I co-slept with all mine though, so obviously I don't really think it's a problem lol! I believe babies and toddlers should have close physical contact with their family rather than be all alone in a room. My MIL wouldn't agree though.

I think it becomes a problem when you think it's becoming a problem and it's no longer right for your family. There's no magic age where it's a problem.

Yeah i dont see a big problem with it. .but when he is in his own bed thats just a fee steos away from our bed cause we have his crib in our room... i would never let him be in his own room till way later on lol

The problem with my first is more the interrupted sleep/ inability to sleep On his own which I'm wanting to avoid... I have no issue with co sleeping per se. Does that make sense??

If I feed lying down this happens every time. So I just don't feed lying down anymore! I never fall asleep when I'm upright :)

I did it a lot with my first little girl it sooo tempting just to lay there with them beside you! My girl was fine and sleeps in her own cot. Im trying not to this time though. The only way ive found to stay awake is to sit up and get my tablet/ereader out and read or look on the internet til shes finished feeding then put her back.

I've never co-slept because DH and I both roll ALOT in our sleep and I know from experience that I'll roll even with a baby in bed. (thankfully, I roll away from my baby but it still makes me nervous.) We've never had issues with our kids crawling into bed with us while my sis has co-slept and had issues with all of her kids climbing into bed with her and her DH even now. But I also know that other ladies have co-slept and not had issues with kids climbing into bed with them too so it really depends on the kid in the end.

Oh and in answer to the original question of falling asleep in bed while nursing, I didn't like it not only because of the rolling thing but because I'd wake up with one flat, empty boob with a REALLY sore nipple from baby nursing pretty much constantly all night and one amazingly huge, lumpy, OUCHY super engorged boob dribbling milk all.over.everything. I switched to nursing in an easy chair in another room with a small lamp turned on. I'd keep a stash of diapers, wipes, and burp rags close by and always had a glass of water and a good book or something to keep me occupied so I wouldn't fall asleep as easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->