Feeding on demand better for babies IQ? New research published

Aidan's Mummy

Mummy to Aidan and Oliver
Reaction score
https://www.channel4.com/news/is-feeding-on-demand-better-for-your-babys-iq

According to new research babies fed on deman rather than a strict routine have better IQ's. This research covers both FF and BF fed babies. Thoughts?

I personally fed Aidan on demand, sometimes he would go 4 hours and then other times it could be an hour but if he was showing signs of hunger I fed him. I personally couldn't wait until a set time to feed him if he was hungry, he would have screamed the house down for one :rofl:. So what are your thoughts on this? It does that that the research is saying anything concrete yet but there are interesting results none the less x

Hmm its very odd... I would have just thought its coincidence or maybe other aspects they dont mention or go into detail about.

Either way, I fed Erin on demand. She would have screamed the house down too if she didnt get her milk!

I fed both mine on demand and I think they are both very clever but I'm biased.

I think it's bull TBH.

v XXX

All kids are clever IMHO, whether demand or timed fed.

V xxx

I wasn't sure what to think of it at first then I saw that it didn't really make a huge difference and it has drawn no solid conclusion. I'm also questioning how it works? I.e why would a baby being fed when they want it affect their academic ability, I also think each child has varying strenghts in subjects. For example I was brilliant at english but totally useless at maths and I was fed on demand. I also think a child's academic performance depends on how much they want to learn, concentration, parental input and again what their strengths/weaknesses are. x

I think it's just something else to push the idea of feeding on demand. I fed both of mine in a routine and whilst i don't really know at the moment if they are really clever or not i don't think that my feeding in a routine has held them back at all. My little boy certainly seems to be at the same standard as his school friends and most of them were demand fed.

I wasn't sure what to think of it at first then I saw that it didn't really make a huge difference and it has drawn no solid conclusion. I'm also questioning how it works? I.e why would a baby being fed when they want it affect their academic ability, I also think each child has varying strenghts in subjects. For example I was brilliant at english but totally useless at maths and I was fed on demand. I also think a child's academic performance depends on how much they want to learn, concentration, parental input and again what their strengths/weaknesses are. x

the theory is that babies fed on demand have had to experiment with and develop feeding cues so they learn how to interact with their parents and communicate their needs from a newborn age, as opposed to babies fed on a schedule who receive food without needing to think about how to work for it

i can see the thinking behind it, but who knows if ultimately it does make a difference for each baby and even if it does we're not talking huge IQ changes :shrug:

i never really understood not feeding on demand tbh, i mean i always fed mine when they were hungry (and still do), does that mean people who dont feed on demand just let the babies cry until the clock says its time :shrug:

i never really understood not feeding on demand tbh, i mean i always fed mine when they were hungry (and still do), does that mean people who dont feed on demand just let the babies cry until the clock says its time :shrug:

No. It just means that other avenues are explored first. Ie nappy changed, a change of scenery, too hot too cold etc. If still not settled then feed. 9 times out of 10 both of mine were quite happy to not be fed but just distracted so had I fed it wouldn't of been dealing with their actual need.
I don't believe that as adults we should feed on demand. It's what I've always done and consequently am overweight. If I ate set meals at set times I wouldn't be (I know because I've tried it and was successful at loosing and maintaining weight).

I do know some parents who have this approach...ie feeding the baby on a pretty strict schedule regardless

No. It just means that other avenues are explored first. Ie nappy changed, a change of scenery, too hot too cold etc. If still not settled then feed. 9 times out of 10 both of mine were quite happy to not be fed but just distracted so had I fed it wouldn't of been dealing with their actual need.
I don't believe that as adults we should feed on demand. It's what I've always done and consequently am overweight. If I ate set meals at set times I wouldn't be (I know because I've tried it and was successful at loosing and maintaining weight).

I fed on demand but it doesn't mean I gave him a bottle as soon as he cried. I always tried different things first and if that didn't work then he was fed. Feeding in demand isn't just "oh the baby is crying they must be hungry" others avenues are explored first. Although sometimes my my son would display hunger signs i.e. rooting, sucking his thumb, sucking his dummy and then spitting it out. I would change his nappy, cuddle him, see if he had wind, walked round but if he still cried he was fed. Breastfed babies are fed on demand and research shows that they are less likley to be obese. Also as an adult if I'm hungry I will grap a small snack i.e. fruit etc. My son snacks now on fruit and he is far from overweight in fact he is on the lower percentile in weight. TBh what you did sounds like demand feeding as you didn't make your LO wait until the alloted time if they were genuinley hungry. Just following your babies cues and going by that. x

It makes sense. Feeding babies as nature intended is obviously going to help them develop as nature intended.

I have fed both my babies on demand and even my toddler now has so set meal times. It's just the way she is. she only eats when hungry, so if I put her breakfast down at 8 it's likely she just wont eat it, but come ten she is really hungry and I dont have the heart to make her wait until lunch time x

I fed/feed my babies on demand Tyler was ff and Zack bf I still feed Zack on demand. And as far as food goes if they ask for it they get it so I guess I still feed on demand

Both my boys were fed on demand and tbh they still are !!! lol If they are hungry then they can eat, We have set meal times but if they get hungry inbetween these times then they can snack if they need to. I honestly dont think feeding them on demand has anything to do with how clever or not they are.

I fed on demand but it doesn't mean I gave him a bottle as soon as he cried. I always tried different things first and if that didn't work then he was fed. Feeding in demand isn't just "oh the baby is crying they must be hungry" others avenues are explored first. Although sometimes my my son would display hunger signs i.e. rooting, sucking his thumb, sucking his dummy and then spitting it out. I would change his nappy, cuddle him, see if he had wind, walked round but if he still cried he was fed. Breastfed babies are fed on demand and research shows that they are less likley to be obese. Also as an adult if I'm hungry I will grap a small snack i.e. fruit etc. My son snacks now on fruit and he is far from overweight in fact he is on the lower percentile in weight. TBh what you did sounds like demand feeding as you didn't make your LO wait until the alloted time if they were genuinley hungry. Just following your babies cues and going by that. x

I guess they kind of we're although by the time I'd done all the other rings then it would always be the 3-4 hour schedule that I was feeding on so I would never of said it was on demand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->