feeding or using as a comfort?

Mummymoo_x

Reaction score
My LO never fully settles unless he falls to sleep after a feed. But I've noticed it could look like hes using it as a comfort.

He slept between 6.30 til 8.00pm & he still hasnt slept its now nearly 2am! I've lost count the amount of times I've fed him since he woke up..he can't be that hungry surely.... I can't tell if hes actually feeding or using it as a comfort as he hasnt settled when I've put him in his cot when hes started to go sleepy. But when hes on the breast he's sleepy like he isnt actually feeding. But I'm not sure. any advice? Should I try giving him a dummy when trying to settle him? X

Three week growth spurt. Keep nursing. My LO was the same, she fed constantly for 8+ hours. Your LO is trying to signal your body to make more milk. It will settle down in a few days. :)

It's completely upto you but it was around the 2 week mark I noticed my baby was latching on for comfort so I introduced a dummy (I wasn't too keen on it if it could be helped). I would feed, change nappy, feed again and if she still wasn't settled & latching on without ducking I would give her the dummy. It's helped us loads as sometimes she gets the dummy and goes straight to sleep! If she doesn't need it or want it then I don't use not but sometimes it's a god send.

Ahh, BF is far more than a method of nutrition. It is supposed to be used as a comfort too. The hormones released are designed to help baby feel calm and sleepy so it is no surprise that they use it for this.

Thanks!
It wouldn't suprise me if he was having another growth spurt anyway..hes a little chunk!

I would try the dummy when necessary but he just doesn't take it at all. Suppose its a good thing in the end x

Boobs have a dual purpose. Enjoy those snuggles they go by so fast. Comfort and food from you are important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->