feeds at 8-10 weeksish

twobecome3

One and one on the way
Reaction score
just transferred care from the midwives back to regular doctor a couple weeks ago :cry:

anyways, doctor apptmt at 8 weeks for shots. doc asked how much she is feeding. I wasn't TOO sure, i havnt timed things out since the first week she came home from the hospital. i said she feeds probly about every two hours when she's awake, and i feed her once or twice in the night while she's asleep (she grunts and flails but doesn't fully wake). the doctor said im feeding her too much during the day, she should be going at least 3 hours between feeds at this point and shes just using me as a pacifier. and i NEED to pass her off to H and let him settle her instead of feeding her so often :wacko: this was at our 8 week visit. shes now 10 weeks, and the last couple days she's been wanting to feed every hour during wake time or she goes HAM. im assuming she's going thru a growth spurt as shes been extra tired lately as well.

just wondering how often your LO's feed/fed at this point?

i have zero intention of 'training' her down to less feeds, i have no need to. im not going back to work and its not 'stressing me out' (like the doctor said it was:dohh:)

My LO feeds as and when she wants...easily more than every 3 hours! Sometimes every hour!! My LO is very easily overtired so I put her down for a nap after 1.15 of awake time and she usually catnaps for 45 mins...then i start the whole cycle of feeding, playing and putting down to nap again! So on average she is getting fed every 1.5 hours - 2 hours and that is what works for us. At nighttime I feed her to sleep at 8pm and she has been waking at 2am and 5am for very quick feeds then back to sleep til 8am.

I don't keep track of her feeds and don't plan to. I just do what feels right. Sounds like you are doing a fab job - I personally would ignore your doctor and continue to listen to your baby instead :thumbup:

I would ignore the doctor's advice on that, to be honest. I feed my LO (2 months old tomorrow) on demand. If he's hungry, I feed him. He will usually nurse every 2-3 hours during the day. When he's going through a growth spurt, he'll nurse every 1-2 hours. There's no way I would make my hungry baby wait 3 hours to eat if he is showing hunger cues at 2 hours. I think you're doing great to listen to your baby and feeding when she's hungry!

Your doctor is talking out of his rear end. Advice is very outdated. Current advice is to feed on demand. It is unusual for most 8 week old babies to go a full 3 hours between each feed. Mine didn't regularly go 3 or more hours until I began to wean onto solids. Mostly it was 2 or 2.5 hours. Sometimes more often in the very early days! The first 12 weeks are full of growth spurts so some days you have to feed more often so your supply gets boosted.
Also why would you pass a frantic upset crying baby to your OH when he can't do anything about it because you have what baby wants? why on earth would you do that when you could just latch her on and all 3 of you cuddle up nicely with no wailing?

she is not using you as a pacifier. She is using you as her mother. A pacifier is a stand in for the comfort of the mothers breast. Instead of a stand in she is using the real thing.

Your doctor is an idiot. It advice like that which can sabotage milk supply. Makes me really mad!

Babies tummies are small & they digest the milk quickly. How many adults go 3 hours without eating or drinking.

My little girl was at least every two hours in the day for the first few months and the at least every 3 at night, pretty often more.

Everything you've said your baby is doing sounds normal.Just keep feeding on demand, you are doing great.

Some good info here https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing/

IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE! If you're brave, when you next see him I would ask when he last received any training about breastfeeding as his advice is seriously outdated and potentially damaging.

My son is 9 and half weeks and he seems to be feeding and sleeping lots this week I thought he must be going through a growth spurt so sounds like its normal at that age. Very annoying having to feed him every hour during the night. :(

Where do these doctors get off with their crappy advice!!

My LO was still feeding hourly hour and a half at most at that age! Frustrating and somedays really hard but she was thriving!

Follow your instincts and feed her when you think she is hungry no one knows her better than her mummy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->