Feel a fool

Thurinius

Reaction score
Anyone else feel like this. I've been told it is likely my ds is on the autistic spectrum. I feel such a fool for not noticing.
I really thought he just had a language delay and would start talking in his own time. I thought his hand flapping was a cute little trait of his. I thought that his placid, quiet personality where he can fiddle about lining things up was a bonus to me as a a mum.
Feel such an idiot and failure.

I know exactly how you feel ! In hindsight I keep thinking how could I not have noticed she always plays alone ? Or her lack of language. She had words but I didn't realise how poor her receptive language was. The lining things up ? I didn't even know that was an autism trait ! But them why would we ? I tell myself what would have been different ? She might have got speech therapy sooner that's all. My daughter is under assesmemt and feel like I was living in a bubble until recently x

You are not a doctor you are not expected to have all the answers. I think it's a shock for lots of SEN parents but in no way are you a fool.

It probably plays to my own thoughts as to what autism was. I guess I thought it meant locked in emotionally, unable to communicate, dislike of being touched, violent etc. none of which fitted my son.
No doubt in the upcoming months I am going to learn lots about autism but it's too raw to google it now

Don't google it hun.
It's not that its a bad thing. I say that because every single child with autism is as individual as a snowflake.

You could have two children with autism. One might chat forever, one may not speak a word. One may be "violent", one may be so touchy feely cuddly its insane. It's so much more than "traits", which the same thing could be seen in neurotypical children.

None of this is bad, I guess we just have to adjust our future expectations! :hugs:

It probably plays to my own thoughts as to what autism was. I guess I thought it meant locked in emotionally, unable to communicate, dislike of being touched, violent etc. none of which fitted my son.
No doubt in the upcoming months I am going to learn lots about autism but it's too raw to google it now

All I can say is don't Google ! Its not worth it you know your son better than anyone. I don't know if my daughter is or is not yet but she's had/has traits. She is do sweet and funny cuddly and sociable little girl . x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->