Feel like Work trying to get rid of me/risk assessment

LDC

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just hoping someone can help.

I started my job in the middle of September and am part time, currently in my probationary period. I'm a remote worker.

I've informed them a page ago that I was pregnant, then eventually they emailed me over a risk assessment for me to complete which I sent back on Monday (18th) with identified risks of having to carry equipment and bending/twisting/stretching - these were all parts of the risk assessment.

I've not heard anything back from it yet - when is a reasonable time to expect to get this back?

Also, I had a meeting with my boss and HR on Wednesday (20th) which I thought was a catch up and about my risk assessment as I've not seen my boss for a couple of months. Turned out it was a probationary review and they've told me I'm not hitting my targets so have extended my probationary period and said if I don't improve then they're going to sack me.

I've never been told my targets before, so didn't know that I wasn't achieving them, I'm currently 4 off my target. I explained the difficulties with the role and the difficulties I've faced (my original boss left three weeks after I started and they closed the office down meaning I became a lone worker, again within about 3 weeks of me starting so I began working from home).

I kinda feel like my pregnancy is a reason that they want me out and that the target is the route they're taking. At the meeting my risk assessment was only briefly mentioned, despite me saying that I'd identified the risks in it. I feel a bit like I was tricked into attending the meeting under the illusion that it was a catch up and not where I was issued with a warning letter saying I could be dismissed if my figures don't rise.

I'm feeling frustrated that it's a week tomorrow and my risk assessment hasn't been returned from HR (it's a small business so literally one HR woman) when there was risks identified. Also emails of mine haven't been replied asking how to record my antenatal appointments as I'd emailed my boss them and he told me I needed to put them through the programme we use to record holidays, even though I explained it's an appointment and not a holiday.

I don't particularly feel that I'm being supported either professionally or on a health and safety aspect.

Can anyone offer any advice please? I tried acas but the woman was a bit crappy with her advice like she wasn't really sure,

Xx

You're entitled to paid time off for your antenatal appointments so do not have to take holidays: https://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5343

If you are dismissed under your probationary period you couldn't claim unfair dismissal if you have under 2 years service, but you could claim you've been discriminated against under the equality act (pregnancy is a protected characteristic).

I'd suggest emailing hr with a read receipt and just say you're concerned you haven't heard back about your risk assessment. Let them know that you want to do your best for the company but you can only do this if they can ensure you are working safely throughout your pregnancy. You might also want to let them know when your next antenatal appointment is scheduled for and let them know you have checked with acas and you're aware this should be paid time off so you'd appreciate it if they could record this for you. Let them know you can provide appointment confirmation if needed (the letter from the hospital should be fine).

While there's no real comeback if they don't manage your trial well (although it would all form part of the discrimination claim) I'd say to ask them specifically for what your targets are, and ask them for a smart (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, time framed) action plan to help you hit the targets. Ask specifically how long the probation extension is for, and suggest weekly or fortnightly reviews so you can understand if you're on track. If you identify additional support you need ask them how and when this can be provided (such as training). If you find your performance is being impacted by your pregnancy (such as feeling too sick to work) ask them to amend your targets as a reasonable adjustment under the equality act.

Hope that helps. I do work in hr

Thank you so much for the comprehensive reply.

It's been a week yesterday since I emailed them my risk assessment with the identified risks and have still not heard anything so I am going to email tomorrow (with the read receipt) as this was also the same email that contained my antenatal appointments and the confusion over where I should be booking them - although on it I did state that I had also informed my direct line manager of when these were too.

Yesterday I received an email around my targets and the meeting we had including action points - nothing in there mentioned my pregnancy so I have asked them to include an action point of regular risk assessment reviews as I'm classed as high risk pregnancy (my boss is aware that I was in hospital over new year with a bleed). Particularly because my job involves me bending, turning, twisting and lifting daily with the equipment I have to carry around which poses a risk with me bleeding, which is what I mentioned in my risk assessment!

They also got my contracted hours wrong in the email and commented on my free time (I have to arrange appointments to go into services to deliver health checks) including the extra hours they'd said I worked a week!

It's more frustrating that HR have managed to email out this bloody letter telling me that my probationary period is being extended and how my performance isn't up to scratch, yet haven't managed to sort my risk assessment which was sent way before the meeting!

Xx

Are you part of a union, e.g. the general workers one. That way you'll have someone to act on your behalf and mke them see you in a stronger position. It is unreasonable to expect you to hit targets you haven't been told about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->