feeling trapped now

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
Dd is 6.5m and still waking 3 times sometimes 4 a night. A good night is twice eg 1030 & 330 but those are rare. I've started baby led weaning once a day sometimes twice a day and she is very interested in food but doesn't swallow much. Problem no. 2 is that she is do distract able at feeds I have to do them upstairs. This isn't fair on my 26 month old who then tries to follow sometimes no matter what distraction techniques I offer. I can't stay at home all day every day just to ensure baby feeds enough.

I tried introducing a bottle at 4m but she rejected it. I tried a few days ago and she happily took it in her mouth but wouldn't or couldn't drink. Was happy sat up facing out but if I tried to recline her she got in a tis.

I'm convinced she doesn't need the 1230/130 feed as she doesn't have it every night but I don't want her to cry or wake up my son.

We are going to put her in her own room soon as dh thinks she will be less disturbed by us but I can't stand having to trapse across the hall 3 times a night.

I'm so tired. It's now making me feel trapped. I did traditional weaning with my son and he was ff and waking once a night at this age. I just would be happy if twice was consistent. Then it wouldn't matter so much as I'd get that chunk of sleep. Maybe I should add more puree into the mix with blw.

Sorry you're feeling this way!

I think it's hard to compare ff vs bf babes. My ds1 was ff from 3 months and he definitely slept for longer stretches than ds2, who is bf still at 5 months. The formula is less easily digested, so they are fuller for longer. My dh also wants to move lo to his own room, but we've delayed it until 6 months at least as I love when he gets up in the night and I sleep the rest of the night with him.

That being said, he wakes a couple times, but occasionally we'll just pop the pacifier back in and he'll sleep for a little longer. Have you tried a paci? Your supply should be pretty well established now, so maybe your hubby can help you get a little more sleep?

As for being distracted, I think if lo is hungry, she will eat. If you can minimize distraction, do so. But I doubt she will starve herself to see what your son is up to :). My ds2 is the worst, he pulls my nipple as he tries to see what ds1 is doing and then abruptly lets it go. Ouch.

As for blw, I don't know much about it, but maybe it's just too early? Even purees at this point may be just spit out as they learn. But I have no advice, really, except to persevere. I hope it gets better soon for you :)

I am fairly confident these feelings will pass. I'm just tired. Thank you. Its funny how we set expectations on our children. I am trying so hard not to compare my children re ff and bf. I would just like more sleep

I did BLW with both mine and neither were eating much until 7-8mo. Also the difference in kids is huge. My son was only waking once (occasionally twice) a night at that point, whereas my daughter was waking every 2-3h still. Both were EBF and not really eating solids yet. It's definitely tiring. With my daughter I co-slept which made it much easier. Right now I have a 2 week old who is permanently attached to my boob so again co-sleeping is saving my life! :haha:

I wasn't bf by that point with my son but I just wanted to add in that even though my son was on formula he was still waking many times a night at that age and having a couple of feeds. I did a mix of feedings while weaning but finally at about 7-8 months once he was starting to have three meals a day (and milk feeds still) he started sleeping through. So I guess it doesn't really matter what there fed they don't start sleeping through till they are ready! hope some better sleep is on its way for you soon!

I did BLW with DS and he didn't really start eating food until he was over 15 months old :haha:

I did BLW with DS and he didn't really start eating food until he was over 15 months old :haha:

This was the same with us with BLW. He would play with it but not actually eat it. He really only started eating when he went to daycare more regularly.

DS was still waking 3 odd times a night at 6.5months old. But it was quite regular. I am certain that some of it was just cuddle time. He is a very cuddly boy still, loves just sitting with me.

It does get better. Can you get someone else to take the kids for a few hours while you have a nap once a week? It makes a big difference. I found if this didn't really happen with help from friends or family I would just crash on the couch eventually from exhaustion anyway. Its much nicer knowing your children knowing your kids are being entertained and looked after properly rather than waking up in a haze unsure of how long they had been crying in their cot/bed while I was out to it - literally.

Best of luck.

My daughter didn't sleep through until she was in a room of her own. We were waking her up when we turned in bed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->