Feeling unprepared for a natural birth. Help please!

Maltee

Reaction score
This is my first pregnancy. I really, really want a natural birth. I'm afraid it will be difficult because I'm giving birth in a hospital (home birth is not an option for me). My husband and I know very little about birth and I'm afraid that with how unprepared I feel, I will just get scared and give in and get the epidural once I'm at the hospital.

I want us to feel more prepared and knowledgeable about natural birth, but I'm not sure how to do that. I was excited to find Bradley childbirth classes in my area, but unfortunately they are $300! Money is really tight for us and I'd basically have to choose between taking that class and going to my best friend's wedding. :(

Does anyone know of any other options for me to prepare? Would reading the Bradley Method book be enough?? Are there any online classes or resources that don't cost as much? Any help would be appreciated. It stinks to worry about this.

I'm planning a natural hospital birth. I'm using Natal Hypnotherapy. I have the 4 Cd set for hospital /birthing center, and the book "Effective Birth Preparation" by Maggie Howell. It's big in the UK apparently but not in the US, so there aren't any classes here. DH and I are still taking a traditional childbirth class (that teaches the Lamaze method) and just applying anything new or helpful to what I'm already doing. The CDs were about $55 shipped but I don't remember how much I paid for the book. Much cheaper! I'm feeling very confident, and I'm very much looking forward to labor and birth now! My hospital has a 93% epidural rate, but I'm confident that my wishes will be respected and I will have my mom and DH as my support people - they will know how I want things and will help communicate my wishes to the staff (and keep me focused!). My hospital does have large suites to give birth in with tubs to labor in as well as a shower and birthing ball. You can give birth in any position you like, you don't have to have continuous monitoring, you don't have to have an IV hooked up, they encourage immediate skin to skin and breastfeeding. So even though it's a high epi rate they are slowly moving toward more natural births. I would definitely check on your hospital's policies. Hopefully she doesn't mind, but solitaire89 did Natal Hypnotherapy and had an awesome birth,I'm sure she could give you more info on that if you're interested.

I went and rented a bunch if books on natural childbirth at the local library
Tomorrow when I'm at work ill post some links that ice found very helpful :)

The more you know the better :)

Believe in your body

Oh, also Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is a great resource. It has lots of stories of natural births and a lot of information.

Hi :) I used Natal Hypnotherapy, as Jess137 said - it really helped! My birth story is in my siggy if you're interested, and there are 2 other ladies on here who've also used Natal Hypnotherapy very sucessfully - MindUtopia and Duffers. I really recommend it - even if you can't do the course in the US.
You don't say how far along you are, but I'd suggest starting to practice straight away if you decide to go down that route. And yes, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Read, read, read, and then read some more! Most public libraries have a great selection of books on pregnancy and birth. Anything by Ina May Gaskin is great, there are several memoirs written by midwives, Peggy Vincent has one, Cara Muhlhahn is another.
Talk very honestly with your OB about both your hopes for your birth, but also your fears. And if you can hire a doula!! You said that money is tight, so if you can't hire a formal doula, try to see if someone who has experienced a natural birth can be with you throughout your labor and delivery. The most important things that help women to have a natural labor and delivery are support and freedom of movement!
Good Luck!!!:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->