fertility after having first/or any pregnancy?

ambertwogood

The Twogood's
Reaction score
My on asked me about birth control after my delivery at my last appointment. I told her I wasn't interested. We had such a difficult time conceiving this LO I don't want to alter my body hormonally in any way just in case we decide to have another. But I am curious about everyones experience with fertility after a pregnancy! I know they say afterwards you are much more fertile especially immediately following birth. Has anyone gotten pregnant immediately after delivery even after having difficulty (yrs? Possibly to conceive) with the first pregnancy?

I haven't but my friend who tried for years with her first had one oops while breastfeeding full time and had her second just after her first turned 1

I don't know about fertility after delivery where there has been a long time taken to conceive in the first place. However, I do know that my colleague got pregnant less than three months after her son arrived, mistakenly believing that she couldn't get pregnant because she was breastfeeding.

I remember going for my six week check after having Eleanor and getting a similar spiel about birth control and the nurse trying to brow-beat me into having a coil fitted. No way would I have something like that put inside me! I refuse to use anything that will mess up my hormones (took the pill once but it put my blood pressure up and then when I had to come off it because of the blood pressure I got all spotty).

Sorry that probably isn't much help but I'll be refusing any sort of hormonal contraception after this one's arrival too. I would say though, if you choose not to take any precautions, do be prepared for the fact that you might end up becoming pregnant! With my daughter, we assumed it would take 'ages' to get pregnant. We got married on 4th September 2010 and on 4th October 2010 I found out I was pregnant (and we didn't stop taking precautions until after our wedding!).

A friend of mine tried to get pregnant for a year but once she had her first baby she was pregnant again 3 months later. everyone will have different experiences. It can go either way really...you could conceive your future child faster or slower than your first.

I personally think I'll probably get a non hormonal iud. I don't trust myself to take pills, lol!

took 2 years to conceive both for me. I breastfed my DD for 9 months which was my only form of birth control. Everyone is different but it was easier for me to conceive my 2nd as I had fertility treatment with my first (clomid). They wouldn't give me anything for this one x

We ttc for 2 years for our ds with the help of clomid and a lap and dye op.
Once da was born we decided not to use anything, we dtd 3 months after birth and got caught straight away, unfortunately this pregnancy ended in a blighted ovum miscarrage. So we decided to wait until ds was 1 and get our wedding out of the way and we fell pregnant when ds was 10 months on our honeymoon. I think the lap and dye helped me out, even tho the surgeon said I was perfectly healthy I still think it helped. (My mum said its like having a good chimney sweep) lol xxx good luck xxx

With my first to nearly two years so decided to start trying for number two when he was nine months old so that hopefully wouldn't be to much of a age gap as to say the plan worked to well got caught the first month lol xx

I dont get my period until baby starts solids and then, its take 2-3 cycles to get pregnant again. My first son was 8 months and my second was 9 when i got pregnant again. However, i co-sleep and feed on demand and rarely pp/leave baby for more than 1-2 hours at a time, which are some of the recommendations for using breasfeeding at contraception.

I dont believe in hormonal contraception, it brings no joy to go against nature

A friend of mine tried for over 2 years to conceive #2. Then she got pregnent with #3 when #2 was just 8 months old and still breastfeeding.

We tried for our first son for 2 years and he was born in nov 2007 and i fell pregnant in the the dec I had 10 months between them! Cx

It took us 3 years to get pregnant with DD. I didn't want to go on birth control b/c I just don't like the idea of being on it for myself, so DH and I just used condoms until we got the go ahead from my OB to start trying again. (had a c-sec so that was at 6m PP).
So we stopped the condoms then and it still took us a while to get pregnant. A little quicker, but my body was still messed up hormonally b/c of my PCOS/insulin resistance problems.

A good non-hormonal BC choice would be the Paragard IUD, if you think you will have it long enough to justify the upfront cost.

What about lactational amenorrhea? If you exclusively breastfeed on demand, don't have more than 4 hours or so in between feeds, and don't introduce bottles or pacifiers, then for the first 6 months it's effectively birth control. The effectiveness is between 98 and 99.5% if you do it properly!

I wasn't interested in birth control BC for one we've already discussed the possibility of number two and we had such a hard time conceiving this one I don't feel comfortable altering my hormones in anyway. I'm just too scared it could make it really hard to conceive again. And I've had issues with BC causing a lot of horrible side effects in the past. I guess I was mainly wondering if it had become much easier for you ladies to conceive the second time around especially if you had a hard time with the first. For hope I guess...

It took two years to conceive our first and we ended up doing ivf.
Currently pregnant with our second baby all natural! Fell pregnant when dd was 7 months old and I was still breastfeeding.

I was exclusively breastfeeding but my period came back two months pp. I fell pregnant just before DS turned seven months even though he was still exclusively breadtfeeding at least every three hours. We weren't trying but we're more NTNP so very excited! I am turning down bc this time around also.
Good luck!

My best friend took 4 years to fall pregnant with her first and she's due her second this summer. Her DS is two in April but she wasn't actually trying straight away.

It took my mum 3 years to conceive her second child and then she fell pregnant with her 3rd 9 months later. She was on the pill too! It too us nearly 3 years to conceive little man and I wont be using any birth control either. I will be breast feeding though.

My first two we got pregnant right away, our third took two years to conceive with the help of clomid, our 4th was a surprise after being told we needed to use the clomid to have another baby. We didn't our little one was just over a year when we found out we were pregnant again

Our first took one night. Literally one oops and whoa, pregnant.

I breastfed him and didn't get my period back until he was nearly 14 months. We started trying for our second in June when he was 20 months and I got pregnant in October right around the time he turned two.

So one night for our first, 4 months ish for our second, but I was still breastfeeding my first and my periods were a bit wonky, so I would imagine that may have impacted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->