fever advice please

twinklestar

2 boys nd 2 girls
Reaction score
Ellie who is 5 is v poorly as of last night, she has a temp of 40!!! which is down to 38.8 with calpol and nurofen, shes been sick, has a headache on and off , says her legs ache and looks terrible,

i just rang the doc as was told there is no one there till 4

would you wait and call them or skip it and go to A&E? or ride it out and see what happens

she doesnt seem deathly ill but im worried about the temp :shrug:

My son was at 103.8 (39.89) Sunday & Monday night. I gave him some ibuprofen and that helped. By Tuesday his temperature was down to normal without medication. He complained of headache, earache. And was just kind of lethargic in general. He wasn't eating. He had some vomitting and diarrhea. Today he's back to normal.

Last year he had a temp of 104 (40) and I called the Ask-A-Nurse line and the woman told me to bring him to the ER. They gave him a teaspoon of over-the-counter medicine and a popsicle and just told me to keep an eye on him and make sure he gets plenty of rest and fluids. It wasted 3hrs of my time and cost $150 - what a waste.

I didn't feel the need to bring him in, but you know your daughter best and it's mostly a judgement call. My son will be 5 in 3wks.

My middle son, Casen, always gets very high temps when he's sick, even of 105 (40.5C). We've always been told unless there are other alarming factors like them being very lethargic, dehydrated or something like that there is no reason for them to be seen right away. As long as the fever reduces with medication and nothing else is really bad just to let them ride it out and see how they do, if they aren't feeling better in a few days then have them seen. It's probably just some sort of virus and the dr/hospital will do the same thing you are doing at home and they are more comfortable at home so they usually do better. I know it's really scary though, every time his spikes that high I'm freaking out and worried but I know in the back of my head he is ok and just try and calm down lol

There seems to be a bug going around, my 3 have all had the high temp and cold symptoms this last week. My youngest Anja, spiked a fever of 105 on sunday so it was straight to the ER, she is only 14 months tho and 2 months premature, also eldest had febrile seizures as an infant so I take no risks with such a high temp. She had a chest x-ray, urine sample ibuprofen and some fluids, then home after deciding it was a virus.

With a fever as high as 104 (40 in C) I think I would just go to the ER, my 5 year old had a high temp last year that turned out to be pneumonia, this was when swine flu was around.

I hope Ellie feels better soon, its probably just a cold/flu but defo best to get checked:hugs:

If your child has a fever, lightweight clothing, drink fluids, acetaminophen drugs will help. According to the three-month baby has a fever should be taken to a doctor. Can lead to fever for children (febrile convulsions). If your child has a seizure, lying on their side, and test that they do not inhale vomit. Call an ambulance, if cramps last more than five minutes. Take the kids to the doctor for as long as has been discontinued.

sorry in advance for not knowing conversions :/ Anything 105 F and above is reason to go to the emergency department at a hospital if it is after-hours for the regular pediatrician's office. The dr/nurse needs to rule our serious infections,even if it seems you could administer medicine and wait it out.
I learned the hard way, my son was 2 and had a high fever. I gave him with tylenol and it wasnt going away after about 4 hours. Then, he had a seizure . I took him to the ER and he was given a spinal tap and many tests were run to rule out menengitis, encephalitis (mosquito season in fl is nasty), flu, etc... It turned out he had a febrile seizure (fever induced) and went on to have 3 more during that week. He was admitted to the hospital overnight for observation. He's grown out of them thankfully, but it is stil lscary and still warrants being seen by a physician. Fevers are nothing to mess with in kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->